Date palm is an evergreen ornamental tropical plant, the top of which is decorated with beautiful spreading leaves. Buying an adult exotic plant to decorate the interior of the house is not necessary. Knowing how to grow a date palm and how to care for it, such a tree can be obtained from the seed.
Growing at home
To grow a date palm will have to be patient. It grows slowly and, unfortunately, will not bear fruit at home. For this, its height must be at least 15 m. But this is not necessary. Even without fruit, an attractive plant with huge fans of leaves will decorate any interior. This will require a lot of space and light.
How to sprout a date seed stone?
Any plant begins with a seed. Date palm is no exception. There is no need to look specifically for its seeds - you can buy dates at any vegetable store. Not sprouted date palm seeds to plant there is no point. Most likely, they simply will not rise or the process will drag on for a very long time.
So, we grow:
- choose bones from the dates bought in the store,
- We inspect them for damage, traces of mold or insects, we reject all non-standard,
- soak in clean water for a day to remove the remains of the pulp, changing it several times, the pulp contains substances that inhibit the germination of seeds,
- wash the bones
- wake the seed for 48 hours in a thermos with slightly warmed up melt water with the addition of several grains of humate,
- put in a container with moist loose material: vermicult, hydrogel, crushed and sterilized sphagnum moss, putting all this in a plastic bag,
- germination of seeds requires a temperature of about 35 degrees - a place on a heating radiator is ideal,
- germination takes from 2 to 3 months, and all this time you need to monitor the humidity of the substrate and remove the condensation formed on the film.
As soon as sharp sprouts appeared, it was time to transfer the bones into the ground.
There is no consensus among gardeners. Most people think that a seed should be stuck vertically so that there is a 1 cm soil layer above it. But there is an opinion that it is better to germinate seeds laid in pots horizontally with a seam down and covered with a 2 cm thick soil layer. In any case, start for one bone chores are not worth it. Their germination is not very good, so it’s easier to plant several seeds in two pots in different ways and see which one is more effective. Waiting for seedlings will have to be patient. Germination can take up to 5 months. All this time a plastic bag should be put on the pot, which should be removed for ventilation. Soil is sprayed from the spray gun to maintain its moisture. Pots should be at a temperature of 20 to 30 degrees. They do not need light at this time.
How to care for a palm tree at home?
In order to grow a date palm from a seed, to plant it a little, you need to properly care for newly emerged seedlings and adult plants. This tree is very sensitive to any inaccuracies in care, which is answered by poor health. Young just-hatched sprouts are especially in need of attention. They grow very fast, which is not surprising - because it is a tree. Growth power is much higher than that of herbaceous plants. Only after the opening of the first leaf does the growth rate slow down. The first leaves are completely unlike palm leaves, they are linear with clearly noticeable longitudinal grooves. Then they are split into segments, which make up surprisingly beautiful fans.
At the beginning of the growth of a palm tree, a lot of light is required, so the pots are placed on the brightest window. The air temperature for young plants should not fall below 20 degrees. In winter, you can insulate the window sill from below so that cold air does not lower the temperature of the soil in the pot.
If several plants have sprouted in a pot, each one will need an individual capacity for growth.
The transplant soil is needed in the following composition:
- humus - 4 parts,
- peat - 1 part,
- turf and leaf land, sand - 2 parts each.
It is good to add crushed charcoal to the mixture. Transplantation into individual pots with a diameter of about 15 cm is carried out when the first sheet will have a length of 15 cm. The drainage should consist of expanded clay mixed with charcoal. Its thickness is about 2 cm.
If possible, in the summer the palm should be held in the fresh air. Such a "summer vacation" will benefit the tree.
The main conditions for keeping the date palm in indoor conditions:
- maximum illumination, but with diffused light, this tree in the homeland withstands the scorching rays of the sun without damage to health, in the room they can cause burns on the leaves, even in winter the daylight hours for the plant should not be less than 12 hours, it is extended by illuminating with phytolamps.
For the symmetrical development of the crown, every 14 days the pot with the plant is rotated 180 degrees.
- humidity of about 50%
- air temperature in summer is from 20 to 25 degrees, in winter it is reduced to 16 degrees in order to slow down the metabolism in plant tissues in conditions of lack of lighting,
- planting and transplanting into the soil for date palms having a neutral or slightly acid reaction,
- compulsory drainage
- daily airing of the room,
- timely proper top dressing and watering.
How to water?
The irrigation schedule and the amount of water directly depends on the time of year. In the summer they watered so that the earthen lump does not dry out - from 3 to 4 times a week. During the period of forced rest from watering to watering, the earthen lump should slightly dry. It is enough to moisten the palm 1-2 times a week. Overfilling is harmful, so the excess water from the sump must be poured out half an hour after moistening the soil. Particular attention is paid to the quality of irrigation water. Ideally, it should be melt or pure rain, soft with a minimum amount of salt. Water temperature is about 33 degrees.
The plant responds well to spraying with warm soft water, especially in summer. He will also need sanitary procedures - wiping the leaves with a damp cloth, followed by drying with a dry cloth. Once a month, plants can have a warm shower, but the soil in the pot needs to be covered so that it is not wet.
Fertilizer and fertilizer
In the season of active growth - in spring and summer, the tree is fed with complex fertilizer for palm trees with a frequency of once every 14 days. In winter, the intensity of feeding is reduced by 2-3 times.
Palm tree responds very well to foliar top dressing on leaves. They are made with the same fertilizer, but its concentration in the solution is reduced by 10 times. The frequency of dressing is from 3 to 1 times a month, depending on the growth rate of the plant.
The best time to transplant palm trees is April. Young plants need this operation annually. After 5 years, transplantation is practiced once every 2-3 years, and in plants older than 10 years, the top layer of the substrate is simply changed. The palm tree itself will tell you that it needs a new pot - the roots will appear in the old one from the drainage hole.
They are thick but fragile by the palm. To their damage, she is extremely negative. For her, transplantation is a lot of stress, you need to do it carefully, keeping the earthen coma as much as possible.
What are date palm trees and how do they breed
In nature, several varieties of date palms are known, of which two species are most interesting for indoor cultivation - Canarian dates and palm dates.
Absolutely all date palms belong to dioecious plants, in which male and female flowers are formed on different trees.
In indoor conditions, dates do not bear fruit and are grown solely out of curiosity or for decorative purposes.
Real date palm (palm date)
Finger date is the same palm tree that gives tasty sweet dates sold all year round in stores. Each date contains an elongated bone with pointed tips. Seeds from store dried fruits retain germination and are suitable for sowing.
Fingers of date palmate - famous sweet and tasty dates
Fingered date grows in the hot tropical deserts of Africa and Arabia. At the base of old trees, numerous root shoots are often formed, due to which plants are renewed.
Real date palms grow in tropical deserts
Canary Date Palm
Canary dates in the wild grow only in the Canary Islands. It is often grown as an ornamental plant in the subtropics around the world, including in Russia on the Black Sea coast. This palm of the root offspring does not form and propagates only by seeds.
Canary date palm is grown as an ornamental plant in many countries.
Fruits are not consumed due to their small size and fibrous pulp. The seeds of the Canarian date have an oval shape with rounded tips. You can collect ripe fruits in December - January in the cities of the Black Sea coast, where these palm trees grow in abundance.
The fruits of the Canary date can be easily identified by more rounded bones than a real date.
In my opinion, for home cultivation, the Canarian date is more interesting: its plants have more elegant leaves and a more fluffy crown, they look much more attractive than potted palm dates at a similar age.
Canarian date plants look very attractive
Room conditions are generally not particularly comfortable for a real date palm tree, accustomed to a hot desert climate.
Fingered date is less decorative, but its seeds are easier to find.
How to plant date seeds at home
For planting, seeds from dried or independently picked fresh dates from a tree are suitable. The landing technology is very simple:
- Remove the seeds from the fruit and rinse thoroughly with water. For fresh, a simple wash is enough, seeds from dry store dates can be soaked for two days in boiled water at room temperature.
Date seeds are extracted from fruits before sowing.
Date bones are stuck vertically into the ground or laid horizontally with the slit down
Date palm seedlings at first look like wide blades of grass, not an adult palm
Shoots of a date palm tree do not look at all like adult palm leaves, but look like wide grass with a fold. Before the appearance of true cirrus leaves in young plants, at least a year will pass. If the leaves of two-year-old palm trees still remain whole, this is a sign of insufficient lighting.
Sometimes it is advised to pre-germinate the seeds before planting in wet sawdust or hydrogel on a heating battery, but this method has at least two major drawbacks:
- it’s very difficult to keep track so that the sawdust on the battery never dries out in a month,
- the sprouts are quite fragile, and there is a risk of breaking them off when planting - it is much easier and more convenient to plant ungrown seeds in the ground.
Transplanting and caring for date dates
Date palms are very sensitive to root damage and do not like transplants. Until the age of five, they are transplanted once a year in the spring into a slightly larger pot; more adults, once every three to four years. Pots need tall, stable and heavy, with drainage holes and a layer of pebbles at the bottom. When transplanting, it is important to keep the earthen clod intact. The soil mixture is prepared from mixed in equal amounts:
- sheet land
- turf land
- coarse river sand.
The soil in the depths of the pot should always remain a little damp; when the earthen coma is dry, the palm tree dies. In adult plants in large tubs, it is advisable to let the top layer of the earth two to three centimeters between waterings to dry, so that mold does not appear.
In the summer, date palms are good to keep outdoors.
The optimum temperature for wintering date palms is about + 15 ° C, in the summer it is advisable to expose them to fresh air, first at partial shade, then to a brighter place, gradually accustoming to direct sunlight. Dry air dates are well tolerated, but the leaves should be wiped weekly with a rag from the dust.
Landing dates in open ground
In the subtropics of the Black Sea coast, the Canary date palm tree successfully grows and bears fruit in the open ground.
On the Black Sea coast, Canarian dates grow well in open ground
Residents of the subtropical zone of the Krasnodar Territory and the southern coast of Crimea can plant a young palm tree grown from seed in the garden, taking care of winter protection for the first ten years after planting. It should be planted in a sunny place with well-drained calcareous soil. It is best to plant potted young seedlings 3-4 years old. When planting, it is important not to damage the fragile roots and maintain the previous position of the root collar relative to the soil level. Young palm trees should be watered in a drought so that the soil at the roots does not dry out. Adult specimens do without watering.
The Canarian date blooms in the fall from the age of five, and if there are a number of female and male plants, it will bear fruit. Fruits ripen by December of the next year after flowering; they are theoretically edible, but fibrous and tasteless.
The fruits of the Canarian dates are not used for food due to their small size and fibrous pulp
Adult instances of the Canary date palm tree endure short frosts up to -8 ..- 9 ° C. Young plants need protection from agrofibre or matting for the winter. The most vulnerable place in the palm of the palm is the apical growth bud at the base of the leaves; when it is damaged, the plant dies. If only the leaves themselves are damaged, it is not fatal, they can be cut, then new ones will grow in their place.
The palmate date in the Black Sea subtropics does not survive due to excess moisture.
I also just stuffed into the ground. They ascended pretty quickly: after 2-3 weeks. Now she is probably 3 years old. And still 3 leaves sticking out. But I am patient, so I will wait for the beautiful palm tree.
My date palm is 1.5 years old, and already three cirrus leaves. It's all about lighting. This palm tree loves sunlight very much.
It is best to stick in a pot and forget, but not allowing the earth to dry out. I started “special” pots by sticking seeds in them with a gap of a couple of cm. For the sake of the experiment, some sawed, others soaked, others just like that. I did not notice the difference in germination. About half of the planted sprouted.
The soil must be moist. The dates of the drying of the soil will not tolerate. If it dries, then forever.
Growing a date palm from a seed is quite easy, but it takes a long time to wait for the result. It is clear that she will never give a harvest of fruits on the windowsill, but there will be an interesting exotic plant grown in her own room in the room.
Preparing planting material
People learned how to grow tasty sweet dates and enjoy eating 5,000 years ago.At home in North Africa and Arabia, these fruits are one of the main and wholesome foods due to the presence of many vitamins and minerals. In nature, date palms grow of enormous height (from 12 to 35 m), but in the Russian climate they are more modest in size.
In nature, there are 17 species of this plant, however, only 3 varieties are adapted for cultivation at home:
- Canary - has a feathery "shaggy" trunk and narrow hard leaves, the height of the tree is up to 2 m.
- Robelena is a decorative species 1.5-2 m high, decorated with a dense deciduous crown.
- The palmate date is the most unpretentious species, it grows quickly, but its appearance is more modest.
As a planting material, it is not necessary to purchase seeds in a store. You can buy dried fruits, sold in many stores, and then from the date you can grow a date palm. Most likely, it will be a date palmate, the fruits of which have a sweet honey taste.
When buying dates in the store, you should pay attention to the date of packaging. Seed germination is lost very quickly - almost 10% per month, so you need to take the freshest, which then immediately put on sowing.
Preparing seeds for planting
The most suitable time for germinating dates is the end of February and the beginning of March. Starting to solve the question of how to grow a date palm from a seed, you should start preparing the fruits. For germination, you should select several ripe fruits in the store that have not been heat-treated. Dates brought from a trip to African countries are even better.
These fruits have a hard skin and therefore germinate very slowly (almost 3 months). To grow a date palm from seeds, increasing their germination capacity, it is recommended to perform the following actions:
- remove seeds from the fruit, peel the pulp and rinse in warm water - this will help reduce the risk of rotting of dates in the soil (you can soak it in warm water for several days, changing the water daily and removing the remaining pulp),
- dry the bones during the day,
- slightly scratch the hard skin with a sewing needle, and then rub it with sandpaper (with fine grain) - this will facilitate the penetration of moisture inside,
- using a blade or a sharp knife, make small cuts on the surface of the shell and then pour over it with boiling water,
- to speed up awakening, seeds can be immersed in hot water for 2-3 hours (about +70 ° C),
- soak the seeds in gauze or cotton wool, placing them in a shallow container (plate, etc.), also cover them with moist gauze on top - this is necessary to maintain constant humidity of the fruit and germination from the inside of the sprout (you can also use hydrogel or moist wood chips).
To answer the question, is it possible to grow a date palm in the house from seeds, you should try to do it yourself, following the recommendations of experienced gardeners.
After soaking, prepared containers with stones must be placed in a very warm place - on top of the central heating battery or on a window illuminated by the sun. The optimum temperature for fast germination is + 30 ... + 35 ° C.
Plates are recommended to be folded into a container. To maintain high humidity, a small amount of water must be added to the mini-incubator every day. In almost 10-12 days, the swelling of the seeds will become noticeable - this means that it is time to proceed directly to the sowing of seeds in the ground.
How to grow a date palm from the bones of a house: preparing soil and pots
As containers for planting, it is recommended to use individual low (8 cm) small diameter pots or a plastic container. For planting, you can buy ready-made soil for palm trees or prepare it from several components: turf land (1 part), humus (1 part), river sand (2 parts) and peat (1 part). It is also recommended to add some wood ash. At the bottom you need to put drainage to ventilate the roots, then fill the soil mixture.
The bones are planted in moist soil in an upright position, covering 1 cm thick with a layer of earth. Sphagnum moss should be placed on top of the soil to maintain moisture or cover the pots with a transparent plastic film.
Then the container with planted dates is put in a warm place where the temperature is maintained at least +25 ° C, not forgetting to periodically water and do ventilation twice a day, removing the film (this will help to avoid rot).
It will take a long time to wait for the appearance of green leaves to grow a date palm from a seed - the process can take from 2 months to six months. After biting the sprouts, the film must be removed and open to air.
Preparing seeds from dates for planting
To begin with, you should search for high-quality planting material. To do this, you need to go to a store or market. Choose dates very carefully. It is important to note that they should not be pretreated. It is best for this purpose to choose dates that have been withered or dried.
In order to increase the chances of a successful landing, it is better to use not one, but several bones at once. Before proceeding to planting, their surface must be carefully freed from the pulp. It should be remembered that even the smallest piece of the remaining pulp can lead to mold on the bone.
The cleaned bone must be put in a container with cold water for 2 days. Water must be systematically replaced. Then again, you should inspect the planting material for residues of pulp. Now the bones are ready for landing. Experienced flower growers recommend, to speed up the appearance of the sprout, resort to the following tricks:
- Place the bone in a small bowl and pour in hot water. Wait 10 minutes and remove it from the liquid. Thanks to such preparation, a young plantlet will appear only a few weeks after planting. By the way, without this procedure, seedlings need to wait for months.
- Also, the seed can be carefully pierced with a pointed object or rubbed it well on the sandpaper. This method will allow the liquid to quickly get inside the seed. The result will be a fairly rapid emergence of a sprout.
Before proceeding to the direct planting of a date seed, it is necessary to prepare the most optimal conditions for the plant.
For successful growth and development of the plant, it is necessary to choose the most suitable substrate for planting. So, it must be lightweight, as well as loose. The date has a rather weak and fragile root system, so you should choose the most suitable soil mixture for its cultivation. This soil can be purchased at a specialty store. But also it can be done with your own hands. For this, it is necessary to combine sawdust, humus, peat, as well as sand.
Planting dates is not at all difficult. To do this, it is necessary to lower the prepared bone into the done hole in the soil vertically, and then sprinkle with soil. Then the soil needs to be watered, while not very large amounts of water need to be used. After that, the pot is rearranged in a fairly warm place. In order to plant dates, you don’t need any special containers. You can take a pot, a large bowl, etc. After the plants have a small leaf and a sprout, they will need to be transplanted into separate containers.
The plant should be transplanted very carefully with an earthen lump. Try not to violate the integrity of the root. If the root system was damaged, then such a seedling can be thrown away, since it will not take root in a new pot.
Date palm is quite undemanding and capricious. This plant responds well to humidity, heat, as well as top dressing. Fertilize the soil several times a year. Watering should be moderate. Such a palm tree negatively reacts both to overdrying and to overmoistening of an earthen coma. In the summer, he is advised to have a shower. The date also needs direct sunlight.
Planting a date palm, as well as caring for it, will not cause many difficulties. And after a few months you will have a luxurious plant grown on your own windowsill.
Types of dates that can be grown from seeds
There are species with inedible fruits. Bred by more than a thousand varieties of breeders.
At home, only three of them can be grown from seeds:
- Canary - grows up to 15 m, with one trunk. Differs in orange, small fruits.
- Finger-shaped - stores selling fruits of this variety. Its trunk is constantly exposed in the lower part, grows up to 15-20 m.
- Robelena - has several thin trunks, it has black fruits, stunted to two meters. It can be grown indoors.
Selection and preparation of planting material
It is not easy to choose a date for a future palm; not everyone sprouts. For growing, dried fruits that have not undergone heat treatment (fresh or dried) are needed, otherwise they will not germinate. Palm fruits contain a large and hard bone. She retains germination for several years. Dates are sold all year round, for planting you need to take a few pieces.
Each first carefully inspect, sort out defective, damaged by insects, diseases.
Before planting seeds, you should:
- Rinse under running water and remove any remaining pulp.
- Put in a glass of water at room temperature (change several times).
- Remove the remaining pulp, after swelling it is easier to do.
- Allow to dry.
- Place the date seed in a thermos with warm melt water for two days and add humate (a few grains).
- Place seeds in moist soil (sawdust, peat, sand equally). To prevent disease, it must be disinfected with potassium permanganate or doused with boiling water, calcined in the oven. Layer height not less than 8 cm.
- In the center, make a recess, vertically place the seed to a depth of 1.5 times its size.
- Sprinkle, put moss on top.
- Cover the pitted container with polyethylene.
- Spray the soil regularly, do not water.
- Maintain a temperature of + 35 ° C.
- After emergence of shoots to remove a film.
- Water moderately.
Sprouting a bone is not easy, it takes 2-3 months, sometimes it takes more time.
To speed up the process, the bone should be subjected to more radical measures:
- Prick the surface of the seed with a needle.
- Walk on it with sandpaper.
- Make cuts with a blade.
- Pour boiling water over.
Next, place the bones in moist cotton wool, put it in a glass, cover it. Keep the dishes warm: (on the battery, on a sunny window). Do not dry out. If desired, replace cotton wool with sawdust, hydrogel. After swelling, drop off.
Florists use another method of seed germination in vermiculite (a special mixture for plants). The bone is planted to the depth of its growth or in a separate dish or in a common container. Cover with a film or glass. Air twice a day to remove excess condensate. Regularly watered as they dry, do not fertilize. Dive when the sprout is 4 cm.
Seedlings are placed using the land where the seeds grew. Prepare a separate deep pot for each. The substrate is made from a mixture of turf, leaf, clay soil, humus in one part and ½ part of peat and sand. Add crushed charcoal. A 2 cm thick drainage is made of expanded clay and charcoal. The next time the plant is replanted when the first leaf is 15 cm long. Put in a bright room.
Date palm growing conditions
After planting seedlings, they need care in compliance with lighting, humidity, temperature.
|Lighting / Location|
|Pest / Disease||Signs||Control measures|
|Spider mite||Yellow, gray plaques appear, then a thin web.||To process with infusion of garlic, onion peel or Actellik, Fitoverma.|
|Shield||Brown, yellow spots on the plant, sticky leaves.||Use tools to combat the spider mite.|
|Worm||Leaves wither and dry.||To process with soapy water, then spray Aktara, Calypso.|
|Thrips||Light leaves above, brown below.||Spray with Topsin, Fitosporin.|
|Pink rot||Leaves soften.||Remove affected areas and treat with copper sulfate.|
|Spotting||Stains form near the veins, blacken over time.||Treat with Mancozeb, Ridomil and reduce watering.|
Problems When Growing Dates From Bone
If you do not comply with the care requirements, the date will fall ill:
- Dry tips - little moisture; spray the plant more often.
- Yellow leaves - moisture deficiency, increase watering.
- Dark leaves - too abundant watering, cut back.
- Growth has stopped - the room is too cold. If the reason is hard water - transplant.
- Yellow, brown spots on the leaves, they twist, dry out - a deficiency of potassium. Feed with potassium humate, wood ash.
- Bright yellow spots on the edges - little magnesium. Add magnesium sulfate to the soil.
- Leaves brighten, the plant stops growing - nitrogen deficiency. Fertilize with ammonium nitrate, manure.
- Chlorosis of leaves is a lack of manganese. Add manganese sulfate. Feed the tree with appropriate fertilizer.
General tree information
The date tree from the Palm family grows in India, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Tunisia, the Canary Islands, Iran, Morocco. The palm tree prefers a sultry and tropical climate, the trunk grows up to 30 m, a diameter of 80 cm, the tree lives up to 150 years. Its leaves are pinnate, curved up to 5 m in length, 12 new grow in a year, there are no branches. Inflorescences are meter-long with male and female flowers, nutritious fruits are formed from the female ovary. Fruits are eaten, fed animals, exported to other countries.
The next stage is the regular watering and care of young sprouts of dates. The plant needs regular watering, drying out the soil should not be allowed.
After the appearance of two leaves, it is recommended to pick and plant in a larger container with the same soil, especially if the seeds were sitting several in a pot. During this period, young plants are actively growing roots, so the addition of leaves is slowed down at first.
In the first year of palm life in the hot summer months, direct sunlight should be avoided on young seedlings. Transplanting into larger pots is best done when the plants reach 10-15 cm in height.
How to grow a date palm: conditions and rules
For the further growth of the date palm in the home, she should create suitable conditions:
- air temperature - within + 22 ... + 26 ° С (not lower than +16 ° С), humidity - about 50%,
- the place should be well lit, but not in the bright sun, otherwise the palm will grow crooked, in the apartment a pot with a tree is better to put near the west or east window,
- palm seedlings can not be placed near heating appliances due to possible drying out and death,
- there should not be drafts in the room, especially cold ones,
- every two weeks the pot should be rotated 180 ° to evenly illuminate the leaves - due to a lack of light, they become brittle and stop growing,
- in the hot months, you need to spray the plants, and also wipe the leaves with a damp sponge,
- the soil in the pot should always be slightly moist, watering in the summer is carried out 3-4 times a week as the earth dries, in the winter - 1-2 p. in 7-10 days,
- you can water only with standing warm water,
- once a week, it is recommended to arrange showering of the tree with the soil covered with polyethylene, which will also help protect the plant from pests,
- with the onset of heat in the spring, it is better to take the plant out to fresh air, gradually increasing the time of the "walk",
- in the summer it can be outdoors all the time, but only in the shade of trees or buildings in the yard.
To grow a date palm tree at home strong and healthy, during the warm season (March - October), it is recommended to feed the palm every two weeks with complex fertilizers. It is better to buy ready-made special top dressings intended for decorative and deciduous crops or for palm trees.
A beneficial effect on the date palm is the introduction of a solution of potassium nitrate in a ratio of 10 g per bucket of water.
In the winter months, it is recommended to keep the date palm at a lower temperature (+ 12 ... + 14 ° C), observing moderation in watering. At this time, plant growth slows down, so feeding is not required.
In nature, beautiful cirrus leaves on a palm tree appear, as a rule, only in the 3rd year, and in apartment conditions - not earlier than five years later.
Each healthy plant needs more and more space as the roots and leaves grow. Therefore, the list of recommendations on how to grow a date palm in the house includes mandatory regular plant transplants. Each grown palm should be transplanted every year into a larger container (increase the diameter of the pot by 3-4 cm). After reaching 5 years of age, the plants already carry out the procedure less often - every 2-3 years.
The need for transplantation becomes noticeable when the roots begin to peek out from the drainage hole. A date palm transplant is always painful, so it must be done with caution.
- 1 day before the start, moisten the soil well with warm water,
- put drainage in a new pot, add some earth,
- transfer the plant from the old pot to the new one, trying not to damage the earthen lump and roots,
- compact and water the soil.
Subject to all the recommendations on how to grow a date palm at home, and with the normal development of the plant, the number of leaves on it will increase. But some of them may deteriorate or dry out.
It is recommended to trim in such cases:
- remove dead or broken leaves,
- long leaves leaning below the horizontal.
- break off the top, which is the only point of palm growth,
- damage the trunk when trimming.
The total number of leaves removed per year should be less than new ones growing. If accidentally during the transplant the earthen lump crumbled, and some of the roots are bare, it is recommended to remove half the leaves - this will help reduce the amount of water evaporated by the plant.
Possible palm growth problems and their solution
You can grow a date palm from a stone, observing the recommendations and rules for planting and care. But even when creating ideal conditions, some problems may appear, the solutions to which are indicated in the table below.
In the summer months, do not let the soil dry out
The tips of the leaves turned brown
Dry or cold air, lack of moisture when watering
Regularly spray the leaves and observe the temperature regime
The appearance of brown spots on the leaves
Waterlogging the soil by irrigation with hard water
Reduce watering frequency. Use only soft, standing warm water (even in winter)
Perform regular feeding
The lower leaves of the palm tree dry
Occurs due to dying off with age
Trimming with a sharp knife
All leaves turn brown
Waterlogging of the soil and, as a result, root decay
Remove the tree from the pot, inspect the roots: if they have darkened or become watery, then the plant will not be able to save. In the presence of live roots, damaged ones should be cut off, sprinkled with activated carbon sections. Then transplant the palm into a new pot with fresh soil.
The tips and recommendations on how to grow a date palm from the usual fruits bought in the store will help you do everything right and get a young plant. However, you will have to be patient - only after a few years it will become like palm trees that grow and bear fruit in Africa, and then it will be a wonderful decoration of the interior of the house.