Flatulence (gases in the intestines) is a difficult topic that is not to be mentioned out loud: patients blush even when discussing the disease with the attending specialist. Human culture made excessive gas formation shameful, it was covered with an aura of indecency, although in fact it is a normal process occurring in the body of each person.
With a strong flatulence there is bloating, discomfort and pain. These symptoms may be complained by clients seeking help from doctors of different specializations. Flatulence sometimes has an unstable clinical picture, which has a known effect on the research, making them more difficult. However, to fix the problem, the doctor needs to know the cause of its occurrence and the mechanism of development. In this case, it becomes possible to cure the disease. In the article we will discuss the common causes of flatulence in adults and the means of its treatment.
Possible causes of flatulence
There are a number of reasons for which the stomach starts to numb. In short, in the nature of increased flatulence there is an imbalance of the process of gas formation in the intestines and problems with its removal. Such symptoms are often observed by doctors in patients with gastroenterology and healthy people.
In normal condition, intestinal gases have the appearance of mucus-covered foam. They are easily removed from the intestines and do not cause discomfort. With increased meteorism in this process, violations begin, leading to unwanted evacuation, which has a characteristic sound. The causes of flatulence are as follows.
- Conversations with food: flatulence begins after eating and is accompanied by belching.
- Watching television during a meal, reading and following discussion.
- Frequent heavy drinking.
- Eating on the run, at a fast pace.
- Excessive swallowing of saliva.
- Eating foods that cause intestinal gases: beans, bran, cabbage.
- Problems with the nasopharynx.
There are a number of gastrointestinal diseases, accompanied by flatulence:
Persistent flatulence with various diseases can be accompanied by unpleasant symptoms: heartburn, diarrhea, constipation (diarrhea), flatulency (uncontrolled emission of gases). It seems that the above symptoms speak more convincingly than any arguments in favor of the speedy treatment of this disease.
Ways to treat flatulence
Meteorism is really overcome as with the help of special means, and by following strict rules of diet. Be prepared for the fact that the treatment process is accompanied by correcting the background pathological process, restoring colon microflora by taking pharmacological preparations and removing excess gases from the body.
There are various ways to eliminate flatulence - both for people who love traditional medicine, for fans of healthy and balanced nutrition, and simply for people who trust the doctor’s prescriptions and believe in the power of pharmacy pills.
Drugs for flatulence
It so happened that the majority of patients trust the choice in eliminating flatulence proven tablets. In the course can go as new pharmacology, and activated charcoal. Each tool has its own scope, so when choosing a medication you should consult with a specialist and study the instructions thoroughly.
- Trimedat. A popular remedy, a long-term administration of which will not adversely affect the human body. Trimedat eliminates the problems associated with intestinal motility, it contributes to the normal operation of the digestive system.
- Espumizan. It has a different form of release and is based on the action of neosmectin, a substance capable of absorbing excess gases in a few minutes and removing them naturally. The dosage of the medication should be clarified with your doctor, because it can reach up to 15 tablets per day.
- Simethicone. Another popular remedy for flatulence. Components of the drug provide the destruction of gas bubbles that appear in the intestine. The released gases are removed in the usual way. The tool can be used not only in the fight against bloating, but also to prepare the patient for diagnostic procedures.
- Smekta. The tool that has gained great popularity due to its operational effect: the gases in the intestine will be adsorbed in a few minutes. It is considered the safest drug.
- Activated carbon . Cheap and popular drug produced by domestic manufacturers. Experience of testing and thousands of patients proved that the tool quickly absorbs excess gases and toxins in the stomach in humans. Take this tool is recommended immediately before meals and at the time of excessive gas.
- Hilak Forte. Available in the form of drops. It is not the main, but an auxiliary tool for the treatment of manifestations of flatulence, containing a large number of useful bacteria. The cost of the drug is low.
- White coal. A recent guest in the pharmaceutical market. Good adsorbent, created with the help of modern technology. Even some doctors consider it an analogue of activated carbon, but it is not. The composition of the drug in large quantities contains dietary fiber MCC. Sold tool in special blisters in the amount of 10 tablets. Doctors recommend taking it on a pair of pills at a time.
- Pancreatin (Mezim, Creon). These funds are related to the action of pancreatin as the main component of the substance. It is necessary to take these pharmacological preparations right before ingestion of not more than two tablets, drinking at the same time with purified water. The cost of funds varies, but they do not cost much and will not hit the wallet.
Any of the above means has pros and cons and with a long reception will cause harm to the body. Self-medication is dangerous: better than an experienced doctor, no one will establish the cause of the disease and write out the appropriate prescription.
Folk remedies for flatulence
Great is the power of folk knowledge: hundreds of patients, instead of the usual pills, turn to traditional methods of medicine. The logic in such actions is present: not produced through complex chemical operations means will cause less harm to the body, although the result of their admission will be the same.
- Dill. It grows in the garden at every hostess. It is useful for its ability to quickly remove gases from the body. Dill should be added to various dishes (it adds an attractive taste to them) or make infusions at the rate of 1 tbsp. l 0.5 liters of dill seed water.
- Carrot seeds. Often used in folk treatment. Before taking them you need to grind thoroughly in a coffee grinder. Doctors recommend eating carrot seeds 1 tsp. during three receptions per day.
- Chamomile. The healing qualities of this remedy are known: chamomile tea has a sedative effect, increases the protective functions of the body, helps with flatulence. You need to brew tea at the rate of 1 tbsp. l leaves on a glass of boiling water, while insisting a quarter of an hour.
- Potato juice. Inexpensive and easy to prepare means, which is recommended to drink in the morning on an empty stomach in the amount of half a glass. Lie down for 20 minutes.
It is recommended to accompany the intake of the above natural remedies with constant physical exertion and frequent walks in the fresh air. It strengthens the body and improves its functioning. Treatment of folk remedies does not take place in isolation from the recommendations of the attending physician. Otherwise, by hasty and incorrect actions, you harm the body and aggravate the problem.
Diet with flatulence
If you notice excessive gas formation, then this is not a sign of prompt treatment to the doctor. An effective remedy in combating this problem is properly balanced nutrition. At the same time do not consider it a strict diet - it is rather the correct approach to the organization of meals. The principles of nutrition for bloating are as follows.
- Do not overeat. The energy value of the food you eat every day should not exceed 1650 kcal for women and 1850 kcal for men. You should not exceed the mark of 200 g of carbohydrates, 120 g of proteins and 50 g of fat.
- During the meal, it can not drink down - this leads to excessive gas. Wait half an hour, and then drink a glass of juice or a cup of tea.
- Noticed: fractional meals (5-7 meals per day) reduces the appearance of gases in the body.
- Chew food thoroughly. To do this, concentrate on the process and get pleasure and pleasure, and do not talk.
- Drink plenty of fluids: at least 2.5 liters per day.
- Give up the constant use of chewing gum: they encourage the production of gastric juice, penetrating into the intestine.
- Engage in self-education and look at the available sources of information about the separate nutrition. Simultaneous eating of incompatible products leads to excessive gas generation.
- Ensure the intake of normal food, not fast food. Eat well: eat hot meals at least twice a day. Eliminate dry food from the diet.
- Fried food with a crispy crust causes a violent appetite, but lead to the appearance of gases. For the method of cooking it is better to choose steam or cooking.
- Try to sit on a diet. On the Internet, you are invited to sit on the salad, vegetable, soup and many other diets. It is important not to drive the body and go over the top.
A balanced diet and diet is a sure way to defeat flatulence, without resorting to the use of modern pharmacological drugs or traditional medicine. But in this case, know the measure and do not get carried away over measure.
Preventing the occurrence of flatulence
It is better to prevent any disease than to make considerable efforts to combat it. Flatulence is no exception to this rule: following simple rules can significantly reduce the amount of gases produced in the intestine.
It has been proven by human experience: preventive actions have a different effect. Therefore, if the step below does not suit you, then try the action of another - it will lead to the desired effect.
- To prevent flatulence will help the exclusion from the diet of certain products. It is necessary to reduce the use of carbonated drinks, beans, potatoes, corn, cabbage and dairy products in case of intolerance. The effect of such a step is considerable.
- Lean on seafood, fish, meat and eggs. As a garnish, it is preferable to cook rice, and if you add herbs, then mint, chamomile, fennel, dill, dandelion leaves. Rather, adopt the above advice on the frequency of meals.
- Frequently walk in the fresh air. Daily exercise improves the protective functions of the body, put its work in order. If to this you add a course from sports exercises, loads in fitness complexes, morning jogs or regular outdoor games, then the effect will increase significantly. In this case, attention should be paid to training the abdominals.
- Being in a sitting position is the scourge of office staff suffering from flatulence. Take a short break during which you will have to walk intensively, and this will save you from excessive bloating.
- Do not be lazy to undergo regular medical examinations. Only doctors of the required qualifications will inform you about the condition of the digestive tract in full and, if necessary, prescribe treatment.
The above methods of preventing flatulence are simple and easy to perform. It is necessary not to be lazy to start their implementation, and you will not feel problems with gas formation and the discomfort associated with it.
Video: how to get rid of flatulence
Popular wisdom about "a hundred times to hear and once to see for yourself" is known to all. Therefore, we put below the video from which you will learn how to get rid of excessive gas formation in the intestines. A lot of useful tips, easy and non-standard presentation of the material - this will only push you to press the Play button sooner.
Flatulence is a disease that affects hundreds of thousands of people. Many people refuse to take measures to eliminate this problem, because they consider it frivolous. The minority is treated with folk remedies, appeals to doctors, puts in order the diet. Do not remain indifferent to bloating, rather take action and soon you will get rid of this feeling that brings discomfort.
Causes of flatulence in adults
There are a lot of reasons because of which a lot of gases accumulate in the intestines.
The causes of flatulence in adults are very different, among them:
Violation of the enzyme system. If a person has a lack of certain enzymes, then a large amount of undigested food debris will enter the intestine from the upper GI tract. This food will help trigger the processes of decay and fermentation, which leads to the release of gases. In adulthood, enzyme deficiency is the result of an unbalanced diet.
Intestinal dysbiosis. If you calibrate the causes of flatulence by the frequency of their occurrence, the intestinal dysbiosis will be in second place after the failure of the enzymatic system. When the microflora of the terminal parts of the digestive tract is not disturbed, most of the intestinal gases are absorbed by the bacteria that exist in the intestine. They are necessary for microorganisms for normal life. However, when the balance between the bacteria is disturbed, the gases are producing and the bacteria, the gases that absorb, meteorism develops.
Undergone abdominal surgery. The third most common reason for the development of flatulence is surgery, which was carried out on the abdominal cavity. The intestinal wall is stretched, as the intestinal motor activity after surgical interventions decreases. All operations on the digestive tract organs always lead to a decrease in motility of the terminal parts of the digestive organs. As a result, the normal movement of food through the intestines is disturbed, the processes of decay and fermentation are triggered, which leads to flatulence. In addition, after surgeries, abdominal adhesions are often formed, which also leads to the difficulty of the process of digesting food and provokes flatulence.
Diseases of the digestive system. The intestine is part of the general system of the digestive organs. Therefore, any of their diseases will contribute to the fact that his work will be disturbed, which means there will be flatulence.
The main diseases of the gastrointestinal tract and related causes of flatulence are the following:
Gastritis, in which the acidity of the stomach is disturbed, which leads to a breakdown of the protein breakdown process. In a half-broken form, they enter the intestine and cause flatulence.
Cholecystitis. With inflammation of the gallbladder, a violation of the outflow of bile occurs, it is not enough for the normal functioning of the duodenum, which ultimately causes flatulence.
Duodenitis. In this case, the duodenum is involved in the inflammatory process. The digestive enzymes produced by it are produced in smaller quantities, they are not enough for splitting food. As a result - the development of fermentation processes and flatulence.
Pancreatitis. Flatulence occurs due to insolvency of the enzymatic function of the pancreas.
Enteritis.Flatulence becomes a consequence of impaired function of absorption and digestion of food by the small intestine, which is due to dystrophic changes in its mucous membrane.
Colitis is an inflammation of the large intestine often of a dystrophic nature. This disease not only disrupts the process of food digestion, but also provokes an imbalance of intestinal microflora. As a result of pathological disorders, the development of flatulence occurs.
Cirrhosis of the liver. Flatulence occurs against a background of bile secretion failure, due to abnormal liver function. Its shortage causes incomplete digestion of fats, as a result of which an increase in gas formation during cirrhosis is always observed after ingestion of fatty foods.
Various intestinal infections, pathogens of which enter the intestine with food. As a result, his work is disturbed, there is a deterioration of peristalsis, the food is not absorbed, there is flatulence.
Intestinal obstruction causes flatulence due to disruption of its physical activity - it is either decreasing or increasing. The cause of obstruction may be a tumor, a foreign body, parasites.
Irritable bowel syndrome. In this case, functional disorders occur in the large intestine, associated with changes in the sensitivity of its parietal receptors.
Intestinal atony, leading to a decrease in the rate of advancement of feces. This contributes to the accumulation of gases in it.
Diverticula, which can be both congenital and acquired. One of the most prominent symptoms of this pathology is flatulence.
The nature of the food consumed. Human health directly depends on the quality of food. Often, people look for the causes of flatulence in diseases, and they hide in the foods that they consume daily. The most powerful provocateurs of excessive gas formation are: legumes, foods rich in coarse fiber, lamb. Contribute to flatulence highly carbonated beverages, including kvass and beer. Kombucha, Borodino bread causes fermentation process in the intestine. If there is lactose intolerance, milk consumption will contribute to flatulence. A powerful factor provocateur is also a diet that is enriched with cellulose.
Stress. Emotional shocks can cause spasms of the intestinal muscles and slow down its work. Therefore, the causes of flatulence may lie in nervous disorders.
Senile meteorism. This pathological condition applies to people older than 65-70 years. Most often it occurs against the background of the process of atrophy of the muscular layer of the intestine. Also causes of flatulence in old age can be: lengthening of the intestine, deterioration of the functioning of the glands that produce digestive enzymes.
Pregnancy. If a woman bears a child, then increased flatulence can occur in her when the uterus is cross-clamping the intestine. The movement of food masses slows down, as does the process of absorbing nutrients from them.
Symptoms of flatulence
Symptoms of flatulence are manifested by the following intestinal disorders:
Pains like paroxysmal and cramping (sometimes they can give to the sternum, resemble aching heart pain, lower back, right hypochondrium),
Delayed stools, or, on the contrary, diarrhea,
The increase in the volume of the abdomen, the feeling of discomfort appearing in it,
Enhanced discharge of gases
Rumbling and play of bowel contents,
The sensation of increasing intra-abdominal pressure,
Feeling of discomfort in the epigastric region.
It has been established that symptoms of flatulence can manifest themselves in extraintestinal disorders:
From the side of the heart: violations of its rhythm and the appearance of a burning sensation in the chest,
Deterioration of mood and performance
Bloating with flatulence
Bloating with flatulence is one of the most striking manifestations of an increase in the amount of gas in the intestine. It is impossible not to notice him, as swelling is accompanied by pain and a feeling of marked discomfort.
The abdomen increases in size due to intestinal overflow with gases. However, their discharge does not occur, since the colon is spasmodic. Therefore, intestinal distension and pressure on it from the inside is characterized by people as abdominal distension and is one of the clinical variants of the course of flatulence.
Answers to popular questions:
Is flatulence dangerous? By itself, flatulence can not pose a threat to human life. However, the danger of this pathological condition of the intestines is that it can indicate serious diseases. These are pathologies of the stomach, gallbladder, liver, intestines, oncological process is not excluded. Therefore, with frequent flatulence, which does not depend on the diet, you should consult with your doctor.
Can I drink kefir with flatulence? Most experts are inclined to believe that the use of kefir has a positive effect on the functioning of the intestine. This drink helps to normalize the balance between the microbes that inhabit it. It is especially useful in flatulence caused by dysbacteriosis. However, with increased gas formation, it is necessary to consume kefir in small quantities for a long time. The drink must be fresh (no more than three days from the date of manufacture).
What to do if meteorism began?
To understand what to do if meteorism began, it is necessary to determine the cause of it provoked. This will eliminate the increased gas formation in the intestines, restore the quality of life.
If it is established that flatulence is a consequence of irrational approach to nutrition, then the existing errors should be eliminated. It is important to eat regularly, even snacks between breakfast, lunch and dinner should be held in a relaxed atmosphere. Doctors recommend including dairy products in the diet. If their intake is regular, the metabolic activity of the microflora is normalized, the motor function of the intestine is restored.
If flatulence is the result of any disease, then efforts should be made to eliminate it. Disease treatment should be done exclusively by a specialist.
In case of lactose deficiency, it is important to maintain an appropriate diet with a low calorie content and no milk sugar.
For the time being, it is necessary to reduce the number of products containing coarse fiber, if flatulence is provoked by irritable bowel syndrome. The consultation of the psychologist and the neuropathologist is important. To reduce the pain caused by abdominal distention, you can use antispasmodics, for example, Duspatalin.
When dysbiosis assigned probiotics. This may be Linex, Rioflora Immuno, Hilak Forte, Bifidumbakterin, etc. These drugs contribute to the normalization of the intestinal microbial balance.
To save a person from the symptoms of flatulence, he can be recommended drugs belonging to the group of defoamers. They include such active substance as simethicone. It does not have side effects and has no age limit. Treatments with simethicone include: Meteospasmil, Gestid, Maalox plus, Disflatil, Espumizan.
Additional means to help alleviate the patient's condition are adsorbents. It can be: Polyphepane, preparations containing bismuth, aluminum phosphate, Activated carbon. However, the effect of activated carbon is delayed in time and very short, and other means help to slow down the passage of fecal masses through the large intestine. Together with gases, they also excrete vitamins, beneficial microflora and mineral compounds.
It is also advisable to receive pancreatic enzymes, since flatulence almost always occurs against the background of digestive disorders. Such drugs can be: Creon, Pancreatin, Pancreoflat (enzymes in combination with simethicone).
Education: A diploma in the specialty “Medicine” was received at the Russian State Medical University. N.I. Pirogov (2005). Postgraduate Studies in Gastroenterology - educational and scientific medical center.
Effective treatment of hypertension without drugs!
15 most useful products for the heart and blood vessels
The specifics of the disease
The problem of flatulence worries adults when gas accumulates in their stomachs. Flatulence is always characterized by discomfort in the abdomen.
The most common symptoms of the disease: bloating, feeling unwell and belching.
During flatulence, a large amount of food gases is emitted. However, this problem cannot be called an independent disease.
Often, flatulence worries people who have any pathology in the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract.
And it also happens that a person after a feast feels a sharp pain in the stomach. After that, his stomach is swollen - this is a manifestation of flatulence. Thus, most often, this process is caused by external causes.
However, if flatulence is a symptom of a disease, treatment should begin. Therefore, if this process occurs systematically, a person should be examined in a hospital.
During flatulence, about 3 liters of gases are emitted per day. With abundant gas accumulation, the intestinal mucosa cannot function normally.
The human body can not actively absorb the nutrients that come with food, as well as the enzymatic ability.
In the gastrointestinal tract accumulated gases look like foam. The basis of this foam is mucus. It interferes with the normal absorption of food by the stomach.
That is why the problem of flatulence brings a lot of discomfort. Metabolism is impaired, and with it there are failures in the production of enzyme organisms.
Flatulence in adults - causes
It is not at all necessary to call the attending physician for a house with such unpleasant symptoms; however, it is also possible to visit a gastroenterologist if possible. The main causes of flatulence in adults can be identified by collecting history data, or after a clinical examination of the digestive tract. The emergence of abdominal distention and progressive flatulentsii preceded by such anomalous processes of an adult organism, such as:
- individual nutritional characteristics,
- air penetration into the digestive organs (during breastfeeding),
- lack of oxygen
- diseases of the digestive tract, such as gastritis, pancreatitis, ulcers,
- violation of systemic circulation,
- nervous breakdown, stress,
- acute intestinal infections
- intoxication of the body,
- intestinal parasites,
Products that cause flatulence
If you determine the cause of the pathology and promptly eliminate it from the daily routine of an adult patient, the general well-being will be settled, and the alarming symptoms will fade into the background. It is important to know the products that cause flatulence, since their portions in the day menu will have to be reduced several times. They provoke bloating, cause discomfort, significantly reduce appetite from unpleasant symptoms. It:
- Any number of legumes: peas, beans, lentils,
- coarse fiber: sauerkraut, apples, onions, garlic,
- yeast products: kvass, beer, pastries,
- carbonated drinks,
- citrus fruit,
- black bread.
Flatulence - Symptoms
If an adult has pronounced signs of flatulence, the mood drops noticeably, the chair is disturbed, and the appetite decreases. Not to notice such unpleasant changes is difficult, in addition to the excessive accumulation of gases in the body, prolonged constipation or, conversely, prolonged diarrhea can be observed. Other obvious symptoms of flatulence in adults are detailed below:
- colonic spasms,
- an increase in the abdomen
- nausea, rarely vomiting,
- disturbed sleep phase
- abdominal tenderness.
The problem of increased gas formation occurs in childhood, but is also characteristic of the adult generation. Future mummies suffer from unpleasant symptoms, and this unpleasant feeling is accompanied by excessive abdominal pain, a feeling of general discomfort. Flatulence in pregnant women due to problematic digestion. The occurrence of the characteristic anomaly is preceded by the fetus itself, which, when enlarged in size as the period increases, exerts increased pressure on the digestive organs.
If a characteristic health problem occurs, you need to visit the local GP, to determine the scheme of intensive therapy. Effective treatment of flatulence in adults provides a therapeutic diet and medication. If we are talking about the recovery of a pregnant woman, it is better not to joke with the taking of carminative fees, but to treat with activated carbon tablets. If there is no “interesting situation” in case of digestive tract problems, the treatment regimen provides for the following medications:
- For increased absorption of carbon dioxide, toxins, slags, and other toxic substances, Polysorb, activated carbon, Dimethicone, white clay, Polyphepan are supposed to be taken.
- In order to ensure the carminative effect of taking dill water, activated carbon, Disflatil, Espumizan, Riabal.
- To restore the functions of the pancreas, an additional intake of enzymes is necessary, among which are medications such as Pancreatin, Creon, Mezim, Pancreoflat.
- To settle the intestinal microflora, the use of probiotics such as Hilak Forte, Linex, Bifidumbacterin, Rioflora Immuno, Simbiter, Bifiform is welcomed.
- To remove unpleasant spasms of the colon, you can use the help of enterosorbents. This method really works if you choose the drug Enterosgel.
- If the feeling of nausea suddenly gives way to bouts of vomiting, it's time to get the treatment solution Zerukal or Metoclopramide.
- A laxative is taken with constipation to eliminate colon spasm. For these purposes, cisapride is prescribed as an alternative to classical enema.
What is flatulence
When excessive amounts of gases accumulate in the intestines, this is flatulence. The appearance of gas masses in the body is not a pathology. In the digestive tract of a healthy person contains about 1 liter of gases, which include:
- nitrogen: up to 90%
- carbon dioxide: from 4.3 to 29%,
- oxygen: from 0.1 to 23%,
- methane: from 0 to 26%,
- hydrogen: from 0.6 to 47%,
- hydrogen sulfide, ammonia, volatile mercaptans.
Most of the gases in adults and children are formed as a result of the splitting of food and the activity of microflora living in the digestive tract. In addition, the reason is the air entering the body when a person breathes through the mouth, swallows food, smokes, chews the cud, drinks through the straw.
Another cause of gas formation is carbon monoxide, which is formed when the gastric acid is neutralized with alkali (pancreatic juice). These gases are absorbed into the blood through the walls of the stomach or into the intestines. When there are too many, go out through the mouth. This forms a burp.
Intestinal gases leave the body through the rectum, belching, in the composition of exhaled air. During the day, in an adult, during a bowel movement, and in addition to it, from 100 to 500 ml of gas is removed from the body. When meteorism, these figures may exceed 3 liters.
Causes of intestinal gas in adults
It is customary to single out the pathological and physiological causes of flatulence.
In addition, bacteria are activated, which start the active processing of food, which leads to increased gas formation.
Non-pathological causes of strong gas formation in adults are easily eliminated and do not need treatment. These include:
- aerophagia - swallowing a large amount of air,
- use of highly carbonated drinks,
- some foods, sodas,
- passive lifestyle.
Products that provoke swelling
Flatulence in adults can provoke foods and beverages that cause fermentation in the digestive system. The reason may be foods containing carbohydrates:
- Brussels sprouts,
- milk products,
- bakery products,
- frozen vegetables,
- canned soups,
- soft drinks,
The cause of flatulence can be pectins - soluble dietary fiber. They are found in almost all foods, especially in oats, beans, peas. In a liquid medium, they swell, after which they enter the intestine and form gases during splitting.
A long stay of foods inside the intestines can be triggered by a lack of digestive enzymes. Another reason is an impaired organ motility. This situation is observed in various diseases of the digestive system, treatment with certain drugs. Among the causes of flatulence:
- helminthiasis - damage to the body by worms,
- hormonal disorders,
- dysbacteriosis - imbalance of microflora,
- intestinal infections
- gluten intolerance
- pancreatitis - inflammation of the pancreas,
- intestinal paresis,
- liver problems - hepatitis, cirrhosis, violation of the outflow of bile,
- persistent constipation, intestinal obstruction, hemorrhoids,
- peritonitis - inflammation of the peritoneum,
- increased pressure in the inferior vena cava and hepatic veins (portal hypertension),
- problems with the absorption of galactose and glucose,
- poor absorption of gases from the intestines into the blood due to impaired local blood circulation,
- irritable bowel syndrome,
- adhesions, benign or malignant tumors and other obstructions inside the intestines, due to which gases cannot leave it.
Excessive gas formation in women
Sex hormones can cause flatulence in women. During the monthly cycle, the level of progesterone and estrogen constantly decreases, rises. When progesterone is maximally elevated (18-24 days after the end of menstruation), one of the body's reactions is to slow down intestinal motility. As a result - flatulence, bloating.
Low levels of estrogen can also trigger flatulence due to abnormal absorption in the stomach. This often causes dysbacteriosis and other problems. Low estrogen levels are recorded several days before and during menstruation.
During menstruation and in front of her, the uterus swells, presses against the intestines, which leads to diarrhea and the formation of gases. High levels of prostaglandins during this period can cause problems with the digestive system. So called hormone-like substances by which the brain directs the body. They enhance the contraction of the uterus, and with it the intestines, causing diarrhea, nausea, abdominal distention, gas formation.
In pregnancy, the uterus is capable of provoking flatulence. It is located next to the intestines, and therefore as the fetus grows it presses on it. This can cause constipation, dysbiosis, abdominal pain, gas stasis. At the same time, intensified synthesis of progesterone hormone begins, which slows down intestinal motility.
Flatulence with menopause is a frequent occurrence. The reason - hormonal changes that disrupt the work of the digestive tract, lead to disruption of absorption of nutrients, fluid is retained in the body. The result - bloating, flatulence, swelling, weight gain.
What signs should start treating bloating
Increased gas formation causes severe discomfort. In order to get rid of this sensation as quickly as possible, treatment should be undertaken when the first symptoms appear. These include:
- flatulence - a sharp release of a large amount of gases to the outside, which is accompanied by a sound, an unpleasant smell,
- belching, hiccups,
- feeling of heaviness, pain, cramps, colic, rumbling in the stomach,
- bouts of pain disappearing after flatulence,
- diarrhea, constipation, or alternating with each other,
- insomnia, neurosis, general malaise, bad mood.
Tactics of treatment of increased gas formation in adults
The main task in the treatment of flatulence in adults is to eliminate the cause of the pathology.
The treatment tactics are as follows:
- The use of drugs aimed at eliminating increased gas.
- Cleansing the bowel with enemas. The procedure helps to remove toxins, undigested food residues, rotting products, eliminate gases.
- Treatment of the disease that provoked flatulence. In most cases, drug therapy is prescribed, sometimes surgery may be necessary (a tumor in the digestive tract, intestinal obstruction, etc.).
- Limiting the use of foods that cause fermentation and increased gas formation.
If the problem is provoked by aerophagia, you need to get rid of bad habits: eat slowly, be silent while eating, do not drink through a straw. It should abandon the gum, candy, beer, carbonated drinks. If the reason is tobacco, you need to reduce the number of cigarettes, even better - stop smoking.
To determine the cause of intestinal flatulence in women and men, you need to contact a gastroenterologist. Using a method of palpation, the doctor will assess the nature of the swelling, the size and position of the abdominal organs. Next, using percussion (knocking) and auscultation (listening to sounds) will determine whether there is an obstruction of the intestine, appendicitis, ascites, portal hypertension.
The following types of examination will help determine the cause and choose the right method of treatment:
- General (clinical) blood test. Shows the presence of inflammation, infections, intoxication, helps the doctor to determine in which direction to appoint further examinations.
- Blood chemistry. Detects helminthic invasions, liver problems, bile secretion, the presence of tumors and other pathologies.
- Coprogram. It helps to diagnose the disease of the digestive system. A fecal examination shows the presence of parasites, inflammation, bleeding in the digestive tract. With it, you can learn about the work of the enzymatic system, the digestive capacity of the intestine and stomach, the state of the microflora.
- Bacterial seeding feces. The analysis detects a bacterial infection, helps to determine its type, which microorganisms predominate in the intestine.
- Ultrasound. It shows the state of the abdominal organs, the presence of adhesions, inflammations, tumors, cysts, stones.
- X-ray intestine. Detects tumors, adhesions, intestinal obstruction, accumulation of fluid, gases, feces.
Medication aid for flatulence in adults
Treatment of flatulence in adults involves taking enterosorbents.
Doctors recommend adults to take the following remedies:
Drug name and price
Paste Enterosgel, price 356-640 p. for 225 g
1 tbsp. l three times a day 2 hours before or after a meal
- acute intestinal obstruction
Activated carbon, price 6-12 p. for 10 tab.
1-3 tables. 3-4 times throughout the day
- stomach bleeding
- deficiency of vitamins, fats, hormones, proteins (with long-term use)
To reduce the surface tension of gas bubbles will help defoamers. The drug Espumizan doctors recommend taking 2 tablets. 3-4 times a day. The drug is well tolerated. Among the contraindications and complications - an allergic reaction to its components. Price for 25 tabl.– 250 p.
Enhancement of digestion, digestion of carbohydrates, proteins, fats will help enzyme preparations. Festal received good reviews (price for 20 tablets - from 124 to 200 rubles). It is necessary to take 1-2 tablets during or after the meal. Among contraindications: hepatitis, pancreatitis, intestinal obstruction, hyperbilirubinemia, gallstones. Do not exceed the dose. Among the side effects are:
Prokinetics will help to stimulate the digestive system. For this purpose one should take Passages (price per 10 pcs. - from 80 to 150 rubles). Instructions recommend drinking 1 tab. in 30 minutes before meals three times a day. Among contraindications: intestinal obstruction, prolactinoma, pregnancy and lactation, gastrointestinal bleeding, perforation or mechanical obstruction. The drug can cause complications. Among them:
- transient bowel spasms,
- increase in prolactin in the blood,
- the appearance of milk from the mammary glands,
- breast enlargement
To relieve spasms of colic, severe bloating will help No-shpa from the group of spasmodics. Price for 6 tables. - 35-70 p. The medicine to take on 2 table. 2-3 times a day. Among the contraindications: allergies, kidney, liver, heart failure. The drug can cause complications:
- allergic reaction
- pressure drop
- nausea, vomiting, constipation.
Folk remedies for strong gas
In the treatment of flatulence, the fruits of dill, fennel, peppermint, cumin seeds, chamomile, have proven themselves well. From the use of such folk remedies as the infusion of wormwood, a mixture of lemon and soda, the juice of potatoes, it is better to refuse. They change the acidity of the stomach, and therefore can cause unwanted side effects. In the treatment of increased gas will help these recipes:
- 0.5 tbsp. l Dill seed, cumin, fennel or carrots pour 0.5 tbsp. hot water. Cover, cover with a towel, leave for 2 hours. Drink 5 ml every hour throughout the day until the symptoms of flatulence disappear.
- Sleep in a thermos 1 tbsp. l dry mint and 1 tsp. Valerian root, pour a glass of boiling water. Close the lid, hold for 3 hours. Drink 0.5 st. 4 times during the day during the week.
- 4 tbsp. l lemon balm or peppermint pour 300 ml of hot water, put in a steam bath, hold for 20 minutes. Remove from heat, strain and leave to cool. Mint decoction take 1 tbsp. l 3 times a day for 30 minutes before meals for 3-4 days.
- 1 tsp licorice root pour a glass of boiling water, keep on fire for 10 minutes. Folk remedies for flatulence in adults drink 1 tbsp. l 3-4 times a day until the disappearance of unpleasant symptoms.
Diet with constant bloating
In order to prevent the occurrence of flatulence in adults, with a tendency to increased gas formation, it is necessary to follow a diet aimed at improving the functioning of the digestive system. The following recommendations should be followed:
- eat slowly, chewing food thoroughly,
- preference to give fractional meals: eat 5-6 times a day in small portions,
- stop eating on the go,
- Do not eat very hot and cold food.
Treatment for flatulence involves the abandonment of fried foods. Preference should be given to dishes, steamed, boiled, stewed, baked in foil. To avoid the increased formation of gases, you can refuse products that provoke their appearance in the intestine.
Menu with flatulence should provide food that has a positive effect on intestinal motility. With increased gassing daily nutrient content during flatulence in adults the following:
- proteins: 110-120 g,
- Fat: 50 g,
- carbohydrates: up to 200 g
Although many fruits and vegetables cause flatulence, they should not be abandoned, but it is better to eat them boiled or baked. The menu should not include products that are poorly combined with each other: sweet and salty, fiber and milk. This provokes a load on the digestive tract, increases intestinal motility, and enhances fermentation processes.
Nutritionists recommend that adults use the following products during treatment:
- dried white bread
- baked fruit
- buckwheat, rice,
- boiled or baked potatoes
- grated cottage cheese, low-fat kefir, yogurt, sour cream (with lactose tolerance),
- veal, rabbit, chicken fillet, turkey,
- scrambled eggs or boiled eggs,
- lean fish
What diseases provoke bloating?
The problem of flatulence occurs with such diseases as:
- Cholecystitis. Clear signs of cholecystitis: malfunction of the duodenum and the violation of the outflow of bile.
- Gastritis. Symptoms of gastritis associated with impaired acidity of the stomach. This violation leads to inhibition of the protein breakdown process.
- Pancreatitis. Flatulence with pancreatitis occurs due to dysfunction of the pancreas.
- Duodenitis. This disease causes a fermentation process in the intestines, resulting in flatulence.
- Colitis. Symptoms of colitis are associated with impaired functioning of the intestinal microflora.
- Intestinal obstruction. The problem of flatulence with intestinal obstruction always occurs due to a violation of the organ's motor activity. In adults, parasites, tumors, and foreign bodies can be the causes of intestinal obstruction.
This is not all diseases that cause bloating. The list can be continued by adding irritable bowel syndrome, liver cirrhosis, enteritis, diverticulitis, etc.
Symptoms of the disease
During flatulence, in addition to bloating, the following symptoms are observed:
- Pain. She has a spasmodic character. Often the pain during this illness gives to the chest, lower back or right hypochondrium.
- Decreased appetite.
- Increased gas discharge.
- Diarrhea or constipation.
- Discomfort in the epigastric region.
- Constant rumbling in the abdomen.
- The feeling of discomfort in the stomach does not pass even at night.
- A person feels an increase in pressure in the lower abdomen.
Drug treatment of this disease
If flatulence occurs systematically, do not wait until the body independently cope with it.
Treatment of this disease with medication, in this case, is necessary. The question arises, what drugs should be given to the patient?
Reduce flatulence and improve the condition of the patient, faced with the problem of flatulence, these drugs will help:
- Espumizan. This is one of the most well-known drugs that promote the removal of excess gas from the intestines. Treatment for meteorism Espumizan can be both adults and young children.
- Motilium. This medicine solves the problem of fermentation in the body, which caused swelling. Motilium treatment involves the systematic administration of pills or suspensions.
- Enterosgel This medicine acts in the body like a sponge. Enterosgel absorbs all bacteria, viruses and gases that negatively affect the functioning of the digestive system.
- Bobotik. This tool helps to remove stagnant gases from the intestines, as well as normalize peristalsis.
- Duphalac. This medicine is a laxative, which is prescribed to both adults and children. It activates peristalsis and has a positive effect on the reproduction process of beneficial bacteria in the intestine.
- Linex. Taking this medication for flatulence is not only effective in terms of the removal of excess gases from the stomach. Acceptance of Linex is an excellent prevention of dysbacteriosis.
- Trimedat. This medicine has a positive effect on the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract, normalizing the physiology of the intestine.
Before starting treatment, it is necessary to establish the reason for which meteorism began.
What does the treatment of bloating depend on?
- This disease is often associated with malnutrition. If the cause of the disease in this, then you need to make changes in your diet.Perhaps a person for a long time consumes fried food, which is hard absorbed by the body.
If you eliminate this error, then the quality of a person's life will improve, because he will have abdominal distension and other unpleasant symptoms of the disease.
- If this disease has caused some kind of pathology, you should go to the hospital and consult with your doctor. Treatment of gastric distention, in this case, can only be prescribed by a doctor.
- If a patient with flatulence does not tolerate lactose, he should exclude milk sugar from the diet. Also, he must follow a diet. A lactose intolerant patient cannot eat foods that are high in calories.
- In the case when the ailment has arisen due to inflamed intestinal walls, you need to eat foods that are high in fiber. Also, such patients are advised to consult with a neurologist and psychologist.
Irritable bowel syndrome always causes severe pain in a patient. Therefore, to get rid of it, as well as eliminate bloating, you need to drink antispasmodics.
- Treatment of gastric distention with dysbiosis should be accompanied by the intake of probiotics. For example, Linex is often prescribed to such patients.
This therapeutic drug course allows you to balance the balance of beneficial microbes in the stomach.
Also, the treatment of this disease will be effective if the patient takes adsorbents.
These drugs will not only normalize the work of the intestine, but also improve the patient's condition, saving him from pain and discomfort.
What absorbents can be given for bloating? The most common adsorbent is activated carbon.
However, it should be taken carefully, overdose should not be allowed, because it is fraught with the removal from the body not only extra gases, but also vitamins and useful microelements.
Melissa helps not only relieve intestinal spasm, but also relieve a person from colic. For medicinal purposes, you can use both the lemon balm plant and the essential oil from it.
Melissa Healing Drink Recipe:
- You will need dried lemon balm. She spread on the dishes, which will be placed on the steam bath.
- Next, the plant is filled with hot water. You can use boiling water. It is necessary to keep the tank in the water bath for at least 20 minutes.
- Now through gauze broth must be filtered. It is cooled and left overnight. After that it can be taken in small sips on an empty stomach.
Wormwood is the best folk remedy for cleaning the body from viruses and parasites. Therefore, if flatulence has arisen for this reason, you need to prepare a decoction of wormwood.
- Dried wormwood poured boiling water. It is necessary to insist in a dark place for at least 12 hours. Alternatively, the infusion can be done at bedtime and leave it overnight.
- Now the solution needs to be filtered. It is convenient to use gauze for this.
- The prepared solution is divided into 3 equal parts. The medicine from wormwood needs to be taken three times a day, 1 glass each.
- It is necessary to treat abdominal bloating for 1 week.