Instructions for use:
Prices in online pharmacies:
Coltsfoot is a medicinal plant with anti-inflammatory, disinfecting and expectorant effects. Since ancient times, used as an antitussive.
For medical purposes, used inflorescences and leaves mother and stepmother. They differ somewhat in their composition.
The leaves contain the following substances that determine their beneficial properties: glycosides (tussilyagin and sitosterol), organic acids (malic, gallic and tartaric), carotenoids, tannin, mucus, tannins, inulin, saponins, flavonoids, dextrin, vitamin C, essential oils .
The coltsfoot inflorescences have in their composition: phytosterols, arnidol, firadiol, triterpene alcohols, carotenoids (taraxanthin), sterols (sitosterol, stigmasterol), rutin, heptacosan, tannins, complex carbohydrates.
A coltsfoot has long been known for its ability to soften cough and strengthen sputum by stimulating the bronchial glands. It also has expectorant, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic properties, can have diaphoretic and antispasmodic action. These properties make a coltsfoot the number one medicinal plant in the treatment of broncho-pulmonary diseases.
Indications for use
Coltsfoot is successfully used in the treatment of the following conditions and diseases:
- Whooping cough,
- Acute and chronic bronchitis
- Bronchial asthma,
- Pulmonary tuberculosis,
- Smokers cough
- ARI and ARVI, accompanied by cough, including influenza,
- Inflammatory diseases of the kidneys and bladder,
- Diathesis in children
- Hair loss of various etiologies,
- Abscesses, boils and other manifestations of purulent inflammation of the skin,
- Varicose veins in the legs,
- Lack of appetite.
Despite the extremely wide range of use as a medicine, the coltsfoot has some limitations. Thus, the plant and preparations from it are not recommended to be taken orally for more than 4 weeks, because, in addition to nutrients, it contains some types of alkaloids that can accumulate in the body and, as a result, have a toxic effect.
Contraindications to the use of coltsfoot are:
- Children's age up to 2 years,
- Liver disease.
Coltsfoot home remedies
It is not at all difficult to prepare homemade medicines from coltsfoot. We offer you several recipes:
- Coltsfoot juice with milk is a good remedy for bronchitis, bronchial asthma, and cough of smokers. For the medicine, fresh spring leaves are taken by the mother and stepmother, using a juicer or by hand, rubbing and squeezing through gauze, squeeze out fresh juice - 2-3 teaspoons. Dissolve this amount in a glass of warm milk and drink immediately. Take once a day. This medicine is not stored, it must be prepared immediately before use.
- Cough tea 1 teaspoon of dried flowers mother-and-stepmother pour 250 ml of boiling water, to insist for an hour. Strain, take 4 times a day, dividing the resulting amount of tea into 4 servings.
- External remedy for boils and boils. Grind a few fresh leaves of coltsfoot, put the gruel directly on the sore spot. Apply several times a day until improvement. The leaves of coltsfoot can simply be applied to wounds, abscesses and ulcers on the skin, without rubbing, but in this case their action is somewhat weaker.
What is a coltsfoot
Coltsfoot (from Latin - tussilago farfara) is a perennial grass. Feature - yellow small flowers that look like tongues. They are collected in baskets. Leaves scale-like, large. Top sheet is smooth, bottom - pubescent, white-colored. The plant reaches up to 20 cm in height. Radical leaflets from afar look like a burdock. Flowering begins in early spring, sometimes it can grow between unmelted snow.
Dry leaves of coltsfoot have expectorant, anti-inflammatory effects. Mucus and acids help to thin the viscous secretion that is secreted in the upper respiratory tract, improves sputum secretion. Flowers with leaves of a plant:
- have a diaphoretic effect,
- provide a mucolytic effect
- eliminate inflammatory processes
- accelerate recovery.
Fresh leaves are used as plantain - applied to suppurating ulcers, purulent wounds and boils. The effects of plants include:
The healing properties of the plant have a beneficial effect on the skin and the human body. Fresh leaves are applied to sore spots, and infusions, decoctions, teas, and ointments are made from dry raw materials. Fresh juice is taken in inflammatory diseases. The herb has a medicinal effect on the adult and child's body:
- improves the immune system
- strengthens the body
- stimulates the function of the endocrine glands,
- provides a diaphoretic, wound-healing effect,
- expectorant effect,
- stimulates wound healing on the skin.
Diseases of the respiratory system and viral infections
A person and a child can get sick with various respiratory infections throughout the year, and sometimes several times. These are acute infectious diseases that occur after the penetration of viruses into the human respiratory system. Inside, pathogens multiply, causing an inflammatory process. Coltsfoot - its healing properties and contraindications will help to cure such diseases as:
- bronchitis / pharyngitis,
- Chronical bronchitis,
- whooping cough,
- lung abscess
Diseases of the gallbladder and urinary tract
Kidneys are necessary for the normal functioning of the human body systems. Organs perform excretory, metabolic, osmoregulatory and other functions. If a person has a disease of the urinary tract or gallbladder, it adversely affects the functions of the whole organism. Coltsfoot helps to cope with many problems of these organs and systems:
- chronic prostatitis,
- prostatic hyperplasia,
- prostate adenoma,
- kidney cyst
Medicinal properties for cardiovascular diseases
Thanks to the systemic circulation, functions of the heart are performed, vascular tone is maintained, and blood circulation throughout the body is maintained. In diseases of the cardiovascular system in folk medicine is used for the treatment of water burdock. If the functions of the heart, vascular tone are impaired, it can lead to the fact that the necessary amount of blood and oxygen will not flow to the organs and tissues, will arise:
- myocardial infarction,
- peripheral vascular disease
- disorders of the nervous system.
The skin is an integral part of our body: it shows the "consequences" of nutrition, lifestyle of a person. The skin is also vulnerable, like our other organs, to various pathogenic microbes. Subsequently, the skin may suffer from psoriasis, dermatosis, dermatitis. In folk medicine, coltsfoot deals with various diseases of the skin:
Medicinal plant can be not only a panacea for all diseases, but also a means for losing weight. Coltsfoot can be used to eliminate excess fat - it has a good effect on the gastrointestinal tract (gastrointestinal tract). But this impact can be obtained only in combination with sports and proper nutrition. The plant is used as a stimulant to help the stomach and intestines.
Features of use for children
Children under two years of age are not allowed to use medication based on waterbug inside without consulting their pediatrician. Sometimes mothers simply add decoctions of plants in the bath when bathing. Dry leaves and flowers of burdock can not brew children during prolonged cough, diathesis or at high body temperature, it is better to consult a doctor. Fresh leaves can be applied as a plantain, with minor injuries.
You can treat various problems related to gynecology with a waterbug. The plant and its composition can have anti-inflammatory effects on the female reproductive system. During pregnancy, you can do enemas for douching or wash with decoction. In oncology, ammonia solution is used based on the root of elecampane. Coltsfoot during lactation does not apply.
Coltsfoot herb– application
Water burdock is used to treat various diseases, but not everyone knows when, in what form and what dosage is needed for various ailments. Coltsfoot - medicinal properties and contraindications, described earlier in the article, the following are recipes for the preparation of infusions, decoctions, fresh juice and other uses of the botanical plant, the dosage for various diseases.
Infusion of leaves
With poor digestion, cholecystitis, inflammation of the intestinal mucous membranes, you need to prepare the following infusion:
- 20 g of plants need to chop, pour a glass of boiling water, insist half an hour, strain through the cloth.
- Reception - 1-2 tablespoons 4 times a day.
When coughing, acute or chronic bronchitis, pharyngitis, bronchial asthma, hoarse voice, gastrointestinal diseases, a plant leaf infusion is prepared:
- 4 tsp. leaves are crushed, brewed in a glass of boiling water, insist half an hour.
- Then infusion ceed, drink a quarter cup three times a day.
When bronchitis is prepared, a decoction of milk. To do this, take a tablespoon of chopped herbs, pour 500 ml of milk, add fresh lard (at the tip of the knife), cook in a sealed container for about 10 minutes. Then the remedy is applied and taken overnight at 50 ml. When dyspnea take 15 grams of crushed dried leaves, they need to brew with boiling water (0.2 l), insist to cool, strain. Take a tablespoon every 3 hours.
When pneumonia is necessary to take 3 tablespoons of chopped herbs, pour a liter of boiling water in an enamel saucepan. Then the infusion should be boiled in a water bath in a sealed container for about 15 minutes, leave to cool. After - the mixture is pressed and tsedyat. In the infusion of boiled water is added, add a tablespoon of honey, take half a glass three times a day.
In case of bronchial asthma, a glass of dry leaves is poured with a glass of boiling water, infused for half an hour and filtered. Take need to нимать cup four times a day. When colpitis need to prepare everything for douching. To do this, take a tablespoon of crushed leaves, pour a glass of boiling water, insist for half an hour, strain, add boiled water again. Douching is carried out with warm broth twice a day.
Fresh juice is squeezed from the fresh leaves of the plant. They can cure a cold. To do this, drip into the nose 2-3 drops in each nostril throughout the day. Effective juice during seasonal diseases. To improve the body's immunity, you need to drink fresh juice from the leaves of the grass. During the day you need to drink 1-2 tablespoons of juice 4-5 times. The course of treatment is 1 week in a row for several seasons.
Tea can be bought in fabric or paper bags, or you can collect leaves from the garden. Botanical plant species without any impurities, which can be in packages with tea, will have a beneficial effect on your body. Tea is taken with dropsy, choking, chest diseases, cough. For brewing, take a teaspoon of chopped herbs, pour boiling water (glass), cover with a lid, insist up to 10 minutes. Tea further need to filter. Use three times a day in a cup hot.
Alcohol tincture is prepared from the flowers of the plant and vodka. It can help with diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. To prepare it is recommended to collect flower baskets immediately after they appeared. The ratio of flowers and vodka is 1: 1. Mixture insist throughout the week in the shade. Take 35-40 drops before meals. If there are remains of flowers in the blanks, you can make tea or a new alcohol tincture. Store in a thermos.
The powder is taken for colds, in the form of compresses for thrombophlebitis, for gargling. With a cold, it is necessary to take one third of a teaspoon of powder three times a day, washed down with regular boiled water. For rinsing take two tablespoons of plant powder, pour a glass of boiling water, insist half an hour, tsedyat. Then gargle with warm infusion 5-6 times a day.
Ways to use at home
They use waterbug at home in various forms: baths, applications, compresses or inhalations for various respiratory diseases. For this, it is not always necessary to boil the mixture. It is necessary to collect leaves of a plant during flowering, when the grass contains a large amount of useful substances. The following describes home remedies.
Plant applications are used in polyarthritis, rheumatism, furunculosis, ulcerative lesions, infected wounds, scrofulous ulcers, and corns. For the use of coltsfoot it is necessary to collect the fresh leaves of the plant, knead, squeeze. The mixture is spread on the affected area, wrapped in parchment paper, secured with a bandage. Sometimes it is possible to make dry leaves with boiling water, cool, apply to sore points.
Inhalation of respiratory diseases
During colds, chamomile and water burdock inhalations are made. Take a teaspoon of herbs and 2 teaspoons of chamomile. Then pour 0.5 ml of boiling water, boil over medium heat, cool to a warm state. Next, bend over the pan, cover the head with a towel, inhale the steam for 7-10 minutes. At the same time, not only cold symptoms disappear, but acne with acne.
Foot baths not only help to cope with fatigue and "buzz" of feet. The plant can help with varicose veins on the legs. Baths can be taken several times a week. The duration of the procedure is about 25 minutes. To prepare a bath, two full handfuls of leaves are poured with boiling water, a little insist. Then the infusion is poured into a bowl of hot water.
Leaf compress during lactation
During lactation, the woman's body decides for itself when breast milk charges are required, in what quantities. In order to reduce the appearance of milk, to facilitate this process, to prevent the appearance of hardening and other breast pathologies, it is necessary to make compresses directly on the chest. To do this, take the washed leaves of burdock, apply them with a shiny side on the chest. Coltsfoot - its medicinal properties and contraindications, is used very often for these problems or possible diseases.
In the composition of herbal remedies
Due to its qualities, coltsfoot - therapeutic properties and contraindications, is used in various herbal remedies. Means incorporate vegetable raw materials. With coltsfoot drugs, you can treat various diseases of the respiratory system. Treatments include Bronholit, which contains sage, coltsfoot, Crimean rose, linden, mullein, Devyasil root and other tinctures.
Botanical description of coltsfoot
Coltsfoot (lat Tussilago farfara, English Coltsfoot) is a perennial herb of the Asteraceae family (lat Asteraceae), growing everywhere along the banks of reservoirs, in ravines, ditches, etc.
Plant height reaches 25 cm tall, rhizome creeping. On the stalk of the mother and stepmother grow numerous scaly leaves, small flowers, yellow. When the seeds are ripening, the flowers turn into downy heads like a dandelion.
Basal leaves of coltsfoot appear after flowering, rounded-heart-shaped, angular, unequally-toothed, rather large (with open palm of the hand), of different size, in shape similar to the bottom surface horse hoof.
A distinctive feature of the plant is that the leaves of the mother-and-stepmother are naked and smooth from above, and fluffy at the bottom (when touched to the leaf, it seems to be cold at the top and warm at the bottom).
Coltsfoot is a moderately demanding plant. It tolerates drought quite steadily, takes root on any type of soil, quickly takes roots, gives a large number of new shoots, but grows best in areas located in shady places (under fruit trees with dense foliage, etc.). Propagated as a division of rhizomes, and seed method. One plant can produce up to 17 thousand seeds. Seeds of coltsfoot ripen quickly, without difficulty, dispersed by the wind and, once in the soil, are able to germinate in the first day. The coltsfoot reproduces successfully and with the help of rhizomes, which easily take root in the ground, grow quickly and give thick thickets. The annual fertilizing of the plant with organic and mineral fertilizers in the complex is recommended.
When harvesting grass, the mother-and-stepmother collects young, covered from under the bottom with thick, short white, felt fibers, leaves untouched by rust. Leaves are cut with a scape or plucked. The time of collection of raw materials is May-June. A coltsfoot is dried on a paper or fabric basis under a canopy, in places with good ventilation, scattering the leaves in a thin layer. The inflorescences-baskets of coltsfoot are harvested in April and early May, tearing them off or pruning along with peduncles not more than 0.5 cm long. Harvested in the same way as leaves. The shelf life of leaves and inflorescences 3 years.
Herbalists with little experience often confuse the plant with burdock and other members of the Astrov family (Compositae) when gathering leaves of coltsfoot. You can distinguish herbs by a combination of external signs. When collecting inflorescences of coltsfoot in some cases mistakenly collect the floral material of the dandelion medicinal. It is also necessary to distinguish coltsfoot from similar species - felted fuck, white felts and hybrid felts. One of the main distinguishing features may be the venation of the leaf: in the named species of the snake, it is pinnate, and in the coltsfoot, the lower part of the leaf is white-colored with three fan tufts extending from the fan. One of the significant differences can be attributed to the peculiarity of the inflorescences: the inflorescence is a basket of fumigations with a bell-shaped wrapping, while the basket of coltsfoot has a cylindrical wrapping.
It is important to remember that the collection of raw materials is possible only on uncontaminated areas located at a sufficiently large distance from the highways. Plants growing along roadsides are often poisoned by accumulated heavy metal salts.
What exactly is used and in what form
In the treatment of various diseases within the framework of official medicine and in recipes of traditional healers, flower baskets and leaves of coltsfoot are used, from which decoctions and infusions are prepared. Leaves and inflorescences of coltsfoot are part of the chest and diaphoretic herbal. Fresh leaf juice is prescribed for both internal and external use. Leaf extract with syrup is used during rehabilitation. Outwardly coltsfoot is used in the form of lotions (prepare gruel from fresh leaves), compresses, rinses.
Use in traditional medicine
- When the mucous membrane is inflamed upper respiratory tract is useful tea from coltsfoot: a tablespoon of flowers brewed in a glass of boiling water and let it brew for a quarter of an hour. Drink warm 100 ml twice a day.
- As an expectorant and enveloping agent for inflammatory processes of the upper respiratory tract, children and elderly patients are recommended to use a decoction: a tablespoonful of leaves of a coltsfoot is poured over 200 ml of water and boiled over low heat. Let it brew for 10 minutes. Take half a cup three times a day (adults such a decoction should be given with the addition of other herbs).
- When coughing prepare an infusion of a tablespoon of the mixture (all herbs to take equally) of the leaves of coltsfoot, black elderberry flowers, tall and lime-colored mullein, rhizomes of couch grass and comfrey, brewed in a glass of boiling water. Withstand infusion of at least 8 hours and take 50 g four times a day.
- With liver diseases, rashes, spots on the body A tablespoon of gathering from the flowers of coltsfoot, rue grass and highlander bird (taken in proportions 5: 3: 10) is steamed in 200 ml of boiling water, let it brew for 10 minutes. Drink infusion in an amount of up to 3 glasses per day.
- For pulmonary tuberculosis, fresh juice from the leaves of coltsfoot leaves is drunk for a long time with 4 tablespoons per day.
- When coughing, as expectorant, advise infusion: 2 tablespoons of a mixture of leaves of coltsfoot, large plantain and licorice root (in the ratio 3: 2: 2) pour 400 ml of boiling water, let it brew. Take 0.5 cups three times a day.
- With tonsillitis useful composition: leaves of coltsfoot, raspberries and sage, calendula flowers (all herbs equally) chop, mix. A tablespoon of such a collection steamed in 200 ml of boiling water, let it brew for half an hour, strain and drink 100 ml of infusion three times a day.
- With pertussis and bronchiectasis take in equal parts the leaves of coltsfoot and pine buds. Ingredients chop, mix well. 2 spoons of collection pour a glass of cold water and let it brew for 2 hours. After boiling for 5 minutes, strain and drink 1/3 cup daily, keeping the same intervals between meals.
- With a cold recommend syrup. For its preparation will require: 2 cups of flowers mother and stepmother, lemon juice (2 lemons), 1.5 liters of water, 1.5 kg of sugar. Inflorescences to clear from the receptacle, rinse thoroughly, pour boiling water. Insist day. After the infusion, strain, pour into it the juice of 2 lemons, add granulated sugar and cook until it thickens. Syrup in the form of heat poured into banks and stored in a dark, cool place. With a cold add to tea, milk.
- As diuretic helps infusion: to prepare the collection of the leaves of mother-and-stepmother, raspberries and herbs oregano (in the ratio 2: 2: 1). A tablespoon of this mixture pour in a thermos 200 ml of boiling water and leave overnight. Infusion strain. Drink hot before bedtime.
- When duodenitis recommend to take coltsfoot with honey. Tablespoon dry leaf coltsfoot brew in 200 ml of boiling water. Give a little cool, strain, add a tablespoon of honey. Take up to three times a day, a tablespoon.
- With bladder diseases mix a dry leaf of coltsfoot, bearberry and lingonberry (take equal grass of each herb). Brew and drink like ordinary tea.
- Cough drops: 28 g of leaves of coltsfoot, fennel, Veronica and 14 g of violet root. Mix herbs, 3 tablespoons of the collection steamed in 4 cups of boiling water, let it brew for 2 hours, strain and take every two hours on a tablespoon. You can add some honey.
- Remedy for sore throat and hoarseness: 42 g of leaves of coltsfoot, 56 g of Althea root, 28 g of licorice root, 14 g of orris. Mix all ingredients, 3 tablespoons of herbal mixture to steam in 4 cups of boiling water, let it brew for a quarter of an hour, then strain and bring to a boil again. Sweeten with honey and drink 2 cups daily.
- With fresh juice (or crushed leaves of coltsfoot) with lotions, purulent wounds, ulcers, and boils are treated.
- For hair loss and dandruff, accompanied by itching of the scalp, a strong decoction of coltsfoot and nettle leaves is recommended for washing (4 tablespoons of each herb per liter of water).
- In erysipelas, the diseased areas are covered with mother-and-stepmother leaf powder.
- For douching, a decoction is prepared from the leaves of the mother and stepmother at the rate of 50 g of raw material per liter of water. Boil the broth for 5 minutes, strain, cool to the desired temperature.
- For headaches, apply fresh leaves to the coltsfoot with a smooth side to the forehead and temples.
- When rhinitis juice of fresh leaves is buried in the nose.
- With colds, inhalation with coltsfoot and chamomile helps. A teaspoon of coltsfoot leaves and 2 teaspoons of chamomile flowers pour 0.5 liters of boiling water, boil for a couple of minutes, let cool to the desired temperature. Breathe over the grass steam for about 10 minutes.
- When mastitis begins, compresses from the leaves of mother and stepmother soaked in hot milk are recommended.
- In case of bronchial asthma, children are advised to pour 40 dry leaves of a coltsfoot with 0.5 liters of vodka. Leave the raw material overnight. On the first evening, put a sheet soaked in vodka on the back of a child. The next day, attach the sheet to the chest. So alternate treatment for more than a month.
- When thrombophlebitis 3 tablespoons of chopped herb mother and stepmother brew in 200 ml of boiling water, let it brew for half an hour, then strain. Use infusion for compresses.
- Coltsfoot bath
200 g of flowers and leaves of a coltsfoot pour 3 liters of boiling water, boil the broth for a quarter of an hour, let it stand, strain and add to a full bath.
In scientific research
Nicholas Culpeper in his herbalist (The Complete Herbal, 1653) pointed out that "... fresh leaves, juice or syrup from coltsfoot are suitable for treating hot, dry cough, wheezing and shortness of breath." Also, according to the records of the British healer, funds from coltsfoot help with fever, erysipelas, burns and blisters.
The pharmacological and phytochemical aspects of the research are the purpose of the scientific work of a group of Chinese scientists (Li K.J., Tsang T.Zh., etc.).
An article by Karomatov I.J., Ibatova Kh.B., Amonova M. is devoted to the medicinal potential of the mother and stepmother.
The composition of water-soluble polysaccharides contained in the leaves of mother-and-stepmother and the value of antiallergic therapy was investigated in the work of A. P. Korzh, A. M. Guryeva, M. Belousova. and etc.
Coltsfoot flowers are edible. They are added to salads, honey insist on them. Dry flowers are added to the dough for pancakes or fritters, in baking. Young leaves of coltsfoot are added to soups, salads, stews, after boiling them before, to get rid of bitterness. Dried and fresh leaves are part of herbal tea.
Carrot salad with coltsfoot leaves
For the salad you will need: 50 g of fresh carrots, 30 g of coltsfoot leaves, 30 ml of kefir, salt to taste. Grate carrots on a coarse grater, thoroughly rinse the leaves of the mother and stepmother under running water, chop, mix with carrots, fill with kefir or plain yogurt and salt.
Salad from sauerkraut and coltsfoot
Required products: 300 g of sauerkraut, 100 g of young leaves of coltsfoot, 40 ml of vegetable oil. Wash the leaves of coltsfoot, finely chop, mix with sauerkraut and season with vegetable oil.
Coltsfoot leaf soup
The soup will require: 100 g of fresh leaves of a mother and stepmother, 200 g of potatoes, salt to taste, sour cream for serving. Cut the potatoes into slices; wash the leaves of the mother and stepmother well and chop finely. Boil the potatoes to half-cooked, add the leaves of mother and stepmother, bring to a boil, remove from the heat and let the soup stand. Salt to taste and serve, served with sour cream.
Honey with coltsfoot
To prepare such herbal honey is simple: to separate the inflorescences of the coltsfoot from the cups, to disassemble the inflorescences-baskets. Pour the prepared flower mass into a sterilized glass container and pour liquid honey to the top. Infuse honey in a warm place, on a window sill, well lit by sunlight. To sustain honey for 6 weeks. Then strain in a separate container and store in a cool place.
Herbal candy with coltsfoot
Ingredients: 15 cups of leaves of coltsfoot, 5 cups of water, 450 g of sugar, 2 cups of corn syrup, 3 tablespoons of butter, a pinch of baking soda, a tablespoon of vegetable oil.
Rinse the leaves thoroughly, put in a saucepan, add water. Bring to a boil, cook for 3 minutes, then add sugar, corn syrup, butter and boil the mixture over low heat until a drop of syrup thrown into cold water hardens into a tight ball (the so-called sugar syrup sample). Remove from heat, add soda, mix and mix with a mixer until thicker and more viscous. Lubricate with vegetable oil a form or a deep frying pan and put a lollipop into it to set. Frozen candy layer split into pieces. Such candies help relieve sore throat and coughing fits and are an excellent natural delicacy.
Monica Wilde Wine from Coltsfoot
Required: 5-liter capacity, filled with buds of coltsfoot, 5 liters of water, juice and zest of two oranges and one lemon, wine yeast (bag), feeding for yeast, 1 kg of sugar (for dry wine) or 1.6 kg of sugar (for semi-sweet wine).
Boil water, add sugar, cook over low heat until sugar is completely dissolved. Pour orange and lemon peel into hot syrup and cool to 21 0. Add coltsfoot flowers, citrus juice, wine yeast and top dressing to the cooled syrup. Stir, cover tightly and leave in a warm place for a week. Stir daily. After a week, strain into the fermentation bottle. Maintain wine in a warm place for 3 months. After that, carefully (without lifting sediment from the bottom), pour into the bottle, withstand another 2 or 3 months. Then bottled.
Sorbet by French chef Mark Weir (Tussilago Flowers Sorbet Recipe from Marc Veyrat)
To prepare an exquisite recipe, you will need products: 30 fresh inflorescences — baskets of coltsfoot, 125 g of sugar, 400 ml of mineral water, a little lemon juice, half of the protein of one large egg.
Crush inflorescences in crumbling flower mass. Separate the flowers from the sepals. Boil water with sugar, add lemon juice. Pour into the boiling syrup the flowers of coltsfoot, boil for 2 minutes. Strain through a sieve and let the flower syrup cool. Then add the egg white and beat well. After this sorbet cooled in the freezer or ice cream maker. If the sorbet is prepared in the freezer, to form the desired structure, it must be periodically taken out of the refrigerator and whipped.
When serving, you can serve the sorbet with fresh flowers of coltsfoot and caramel threads.
Use in cosmetology
Softening herbal cream for dry skin
Ingredients: a tablespoon of coltsfoot extract, 1 tablespoon of lanolin, half a cup of olive or corn oil, 1 tablespoon of fresh plantain juice.
Mix lanolin and oil, stirring, gradually add the juice of plantain. Add coltsfoot extract, bring to homogeneous state with a mixer or in a blender.
Faces with coltsfoot
Mask for oily skin
2 tablespoons of dried and finely chopped leaves of the mother-and-stepmother pour boiling water to a state of gruel. Heat over low heat and let cool. This mask gives anti-inflammatory effect, levels the functioning of the sebaceous glands.
Mask for normal skin
0.5 cups fresh stems, 0.5 cups kefir. Rinse the leaves, chop to a mushy state, mix with kefir. Apply mask to face. After a quarter of an hour, rinse with warm water.
Mask for dry skin
2 tablespoons of finely chopped leaves of a coltsfoot pour 200 ml of hot milk, let it brew, mix thoroughly, and apply a mask on clean face skin. After a quarter of an hour, rinse with water.
In case of problem skin, rashes, the following cosmetic recipe is effective. 2 tablespoons finely chopped leaves of coltsfoot steamed in 200 ml of boiling water and kept in a water bath for at least 5 minutes.Allow to cool, strain and mix the infusion with 2 tablespoons of vodka. Use this "lotion" to wipe cleansed skin twice a day.
3 tablespoons of the crushed leaf of the mother-and-stepmother pour 100 ml of hot water. Hold the infusion for a quarter of an hour, then strain. Select 2 tablespoons of infusion, combine with 2 tablespoons of sour cream, bring to a uniform state, apply to clean skin of the face, for 20 minutes. Wash off the mask first with warm water, then cool.
Rinse for hair with coltsfoot
Useful coltsfoot for hair. To improve and strengthen them, prepare a decoction: the leaves of burdock and coltsfoot (1: 1 ratio), pour water and boil in a water bath for 20 minutes. Rinse the washed hair with warm broth.
To strengthen the thin and brittle nails, it is recommended to wipe them with a composition of lemon juice, coltsfoot juice and an oil solution of vitamin A.
In a glass of infusion of coltsfoot dissolve a tablespoon of sea salt. Keep your nails in this infusion for 10 minutes. Then gently wipe the nails dry and lubricate with a nourishing cream.
If the nails exfoliate, it is useful to make a mask: mix a teaspoon of any hand cream with a teaspoon of crushed red feather and coltsfoot juice. Soak the mask on the nails for 5 minutes, then rinse.
Dried and burnt to ash-like state, the leaves of the mother and stepmother are used as a substitute for conventional table salt, if it needs to be excluded from the diet due to a certain diet, etc.
Toothache subsides due to the smoking of special cigars made from the leaves of the mother and stepmother pounded into powder. The smoke of such a cigar should be kept in the mouth.
Interesting facts about the plant
- Coltsfoot is included in the pharmacopoeia of 15 countries of the world.
- The coltsfoot plant is depicted on the coat of arms of the Norwegian commune Nannestad.
- A coltsfoot extract is one of the traditional English delicacies. Coltsfoot Rock Candy Caramel is a sweetness with a long history invented by Lancashire confectioners. Lollipops in the form of bulk and elongated sticks produced confectionery factory Stockley's Sweets.
Dangerous properties of coltsfoot and contraindications
Coltsfoot can cause an allergic reaction in individuals with intolerance to its components. With uncontrolled use and in large doses, the plant can have a toxic effect on the liver (due to the pyrolyzidine alkaloids contained in the coltsfoot).
Coltsfoot drugs can increase the risk of bleeding. The risk group includes patients with various disorders, circulatory disorders, and those taking medications that can trigger bleeding (anticoagulants, etc.). In this case, dosage adjustment is necessary.
Coltsfoot can increase blood pressure. Simultaneous use of coltsfoot drugs and drugs that affect blood pressure should be coordinated with your doctor and be carried out with great care.
Patients receiving calcium channel blockers should take a coltsfoot only under the supervision of the attending physician, responding carefully and in time to possible changes in the condition.
What kind of illnesses does a coltsfoot treat? Mother and stepmother infusion: recipe and cooking tips.
Coltsfoot with bronchitis, cystitis, joint disease: a herbal commentary.
- Wikipedia article “Coltsfoot”
- Handbook for the procurement of medicinal plants / D. S. Ivashin, Z. F. Katina, I. Z. Rybachuk et al. - 6th ed., Isp. and add. - K .: Harvest, 1989. - 288 pp., Ill.
- Coltsfoot from hundred diseases. Konstantinov Yu., - Tsentpoligraf, 2013. - 160 p.
- Total lipids, proteins, minerals and essential oilsof tussilago farfara (l.) From the south part of Kosova // European Journal of Experimental Biology, 2012, 2 (4): 1273-1277.
- Karhut V.V. Living pharmacy - K. Health, 1992. - 312 p., Ill., 2, ark. silt
- Medicinal plants: encyclopedic reference / ed. A.M. Grodzinsky. - K .: Olympus, 1992. - 544 pp., Il.
- Karhut V.V. Medicines around us. - K .: Health, 1993. - 232 p.
- Coltsfoot, The Project Gutenberg EBook of The Complete Herbal, by Nicholas Culpeper, source
- Phytochemical and pharmacological research progress in Tussilago farfara, source
- MEDICAL PLANT MOTHER-AND – MACHE, source
- MONOSACCHARIDE COMPOSITION OF POLYSACCHARIDE COMPLEX OF LEAVES OF MOTHER-AND-MACHIANS, source
- At Home in Nature, a user's guide. Mary Choate and Aaron Brachfeld. - Coastalfields Press. - 796 p.
- Soltsfoot-wine, source
- Coltsfoot Rocks, source
- Coltsfoot (Tussilago farfara), source
It is forbidden to use any materials without our prior written consent.
The administration is not responsible for attempting to use any recipe, advice or diet, and does not guarantee that the specified information will help or harm you personally. Be prudent and always consult the appropriate doctor!
Healing properties of coltsfoot
Scientific medicine recommends using an infusion of coltsfoot leaves to treat diseases of the upper respiratory tract, as an expectorant, disinfectant and anti-inflammatory agent. Infusion of coltsfoot leaves is prescribed in the treatment of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract as an astringent.
The leaves of the mother and stepmother shape resemble a hoof print. Photo: Pflanzenbestimmung
In folk medicine, drugs from coltsfoot are used to treat:
- Bronchitis, chronic and acute,
- Inflammation of the mucous membrane of the stomach and intestines,
- Inflammatory processes in the kidneys and bladder,
- Scrofula and general weakness of the body,
- Skin diseases, particularly erysipelas,
- Dandruff and hair loss
- Colds and coughs
- Pulmonary tuberculosis in an early stage.
Herb and coltsfoot flowers have diaphoretic, anti-inflammatory, antipyretic and expectorant effects in the treatment of acute and chronic bronchitis.
With inflammation intestinal mucosa, stomach, bladder and kidney, mother-and-stepmother's decoction is used as an anti-inflammatory and diaphoretic, taking orally in tablespoons once a day.
The coltsfoot decoction is recommended when fever and pulmonary tuberculosis, the method of use is similar to the above.
To diseased skin areas (with erysipelas) put crushed leaves of mother and stepmother, and inside use a decoction, one teaspoon 3 times a day.
With scrofula and the general weakness of the body consume tea from the grass coltsfoot.
To accelerate ripening boilswith chronic wounds and toothache apply fresh leaves mother and stepmother - they give a better effect than poultices. In case of toothache, it is recommended to inhale the smoke of the mother-and-stepmother in the mouth.
For hair loss and dandruff with itching, a strong decoction of coltsfoot and nettle leaves is recommended - 2 tablespoons of each herb for 200 ml of boiling water.
Runny nose is treated with fresh juice from the leaves of coltsfoot, burying 3 juices in the nostrils and drawing in the air after burrowing.
The therapeutic effect of the coltsfoot is slow, but positive and without side complications.
Drug recipes and methods of use
Herbs and coltsfoot infusion: 5 grams (1 tbsp. Spoon) of herbs per 200 ml of boiling water (1 cup). The grass is poured with boiling water, covered with a lid and heated on a water bath for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, then cooled at room temperature, wring out and filter. The resulting infusion is adjusted to 200 ml topping up with boiled water. Use half a cup 3 times a day, one hour before meals as an expectorant. The shelf life of the infusion of coltsfoot in the refrigerator is 48 hours.
Coltsfoot decoction: grams of grass per 200 ml of boiling water, take orally in spoons once a day.
Alcohol tincture of coltsfoot: the flowers are mixed with alcohol in the ratio of 1: 1, insist in a dark place during the week, filter. Infusion taken before meals, 30 to 40 drops.
Fresh coltsfoot juice cook in June. The leaves of coltsfoot are washed with water, doused with boiling water and minced. The resulting mass is pressed manually or with a press. Before use, fresh juice is diluted with water one to one, and then boiled for 3 minutes. The drug take 1 tbsp. spoon 3 times a day after meals. Duration of the course of treatment with coltsfoot juice -
For one tsp. dry flowers to take 250 ml of boiling water, pour the raw materials and cover, let it brew for 10 minutes. It helps to cough, and also helps to dilute the sputum and its excretion. Take twice a day for 100 ml.
- It helps to restore the body during the period of illness,
- Reduces high blood pressure
- Reduces cholesterol formation,
- Helps to relieve muscle spasm of internal organs with cholecystitis, gastritis,
- Used as a soft expectorant,
- Helps with sweating feet, armpits, faces,
- Effective in inflammation of veins, wounds, boils, ulcers, shingles,
- Helps to cure inflammatory processes in the throat and intestines.
1 tbsp. dry, pre-crushed leaves brew 250 ml of boiling water, leave for about 40 minutes, strain. Inside: take three tbsp. before meals four times a day. Outwardly wipe the affected areas or make compresses with infusion. In the treatment of the throat rinsing is effective, and for the treatment of the intestines make enemas with infusion.
1 tbsp. dry raw materials (leaves) pour 250-300 ml of boiling water and boil over low heat for about 10 minutes, cover and leave for half an hour. It helps with diseases of the respiratory system and ENT pathology, scrofula, general weakness. Drink one tbsp. before meals three times a day.
Today, many are turning to traditional methods of treatment without first going to the doctor, examining, setting an accurate diagnosis, and they think that if you take a medicinal plant, then it is safe and it does not have side effects. It's a delusion. Folk remedies are not subjected to modern research, there is no reliable information about the dangers and benefits of mother and stepmothers and other medicinal herbs.
Any medicinal plant has a complex composition, and most of them contain microdoses of toxic, toxic compounds that affect the liver and have carcinogenic properties (see carcinogens and oncology). With an overdose or prolonged use of such funds may develop slow poisoning of the body.
Thus, the coltsfoot is considered a relatively safe plant, but it can only be used in small quantities, in a short course, since the cumulative effect can provoke the growth of malignant tumors. In case of overdose or prolonged use, the following symptoms and side effects are possible: