If a woman doubts that the change of state of health is of a physiological nature or the lumbar pain becomes sharp and intense, then she must necessarily appear to an obstetrician who observes her pregnancy.
Back pain during pregnancy occurs in half of women. Usually, discomfort is associated with an increase in the load on the spinal column and stretching of the abdominal muscles. Most often, such pain appears closer to the end of the second trimester and cannot be reduced before delivery. Low back pain in early pregnancy can also occur. In each trimester, expectant mothers face this symptom for different reasons.
In the early stages
Low back pain during pregnancy in the early stages, most often for physiological reasons:
- Already during the first weeks of carrying a child, the woman’s body is gradually preparing for the fact that the fetus will constantly grow. The lumbar spine is undergoing changes, because very soon the entire load will go to him.
- 1.5 months after fertilization, the alterations affect the sacral region. Over time, it becomes more elastic, so that the woman does not experience strong discomfort from the pressure of the child’s mass on the spine. At this stage, pain usually appears periodically and does not greatly affect the overall well-being of the pregnant woman.
- The loin is especially tense as the uterus grows and changes its location.
- Towards the end of the first trimester, lumbar pains are associated with dynamic growth of the fetus. At this stage, the woman does not have time to get used to the severity of the abdomen, so when walking, for convenience, the backbone flexes.
- At week 12, ligaments begin to stretch intensely under the pressure of a child. A woman may experience severe discomfort, but more often there is no cause for concern, since everything happens within a physiological framework.
Some women pull the lower back in early pregnancy shortly after fertilization. After conception, the embryo travels from the fallopian tubes to the uterus in 4-5 days. Then it is implanted into the endometrium (mucosa). During embryo penetration into the uterine mucosa, its lining is partially destroyed, which causes pulling pain. After successful implantation of the egg, the unpleasant feeling disappears by itself. Along with nausea and small bleeding, lower back pain can be seen as a sign of pregnancy.
On late terms
Backache during second trimester pregnancy for such reasons:
- center of gravity offset
- weight gain
- effect of the hormone relaxin on ligaments and tissues
- hormonal changes,
- increasing stress on certain muscle groups
- exacerbation of chronic diseases (musculoskeletal, genitourinary system),
- pathologies that occurred before the beginning of carrying a child (degenerative diseases of the ridge).
In the third trimester, back pain during pregnancy is most often due to the fact that a woman is gaining weight dynamically. At the same time, the load on the spine increases, and deformities of the lumbar region increase. Hormones, for their part, prepare the pelvis for childbirth, softening the connective ligaments. The junction of the pelvic bones with the spine becomes mobile, and this makes the lower back sore during pregnancy in the third trimester.
If a woman pulls the lower back in the period of 37-40 weeks, then this may be due to the following reasons:
- Before childbirth, the baby’s head sinks and presses against the sacrum, causing lumbar pain.
- Placental abruption. If, along with lumbar pains in a pregnant woman, bloody discharges appear, and there is uterine tone, then you should not postpone the visit to the doctor. It is better to immediately go to the department of pathology of pregnancy. Too early separation of the placenta from the wall of the uterus is fraught with serious consequences for mother and baby.
- Braxton Hicks contractions. Before the upcoming birth the body is trained with the help of false contractions. They do not have a clear rhythm, they can give to the lumbar.
- The beginning of the birth process. If, along with lumbar spasms, the mucus plug comes off, the amniotic fluid is leaking, and the lower part of the stomach hurts at regular intervals, then the delivery process is likely to be close. It should be expected from the 38th week.
Before childbirth, aching back pain is not uncommon, they often have a physiological explanation, but can also indicate serious chronic diseases that became more acute with the onset of pregnancy.
Related Anxiety Symptoms and Pain
Not always pain in the lower back after conception is harmless. If your back hurts during pregnancy in the first trimester, and the woman also notes weakness, tachycardia, a violation of spatial orientation, you need to urgently call an ambulance. Such signs may indicate the beginning of a spontaneous pathological abortion.
In the 2nd trimester, the woman should be alerted by the encircling pains spreading to the tail bone, pubis or femur. If after a half-hour stay in the supine position, they do not pass or become rhythmic, then you also need to call a doctor. Such symptoms may be due to the fact that the process of delivery began early.
If unilateral back pain is observed during pregnancy - right or left - this indicates an inflammatory process of the kidneys. At the same time, the tubular system of the kidney or glomeruli is often affected, and the symptoms usually begin one-sidedly, the back on the right or left side hurts. A woman should complain to a nephrologist. If such pathologies were excluded by a doctor - there are several other possible causes of pain:
- Pulls the lower back during pregnancy from the right or left side with a complex of dystrophic disorders in the articular cartilage. Pregnant women complain that most often in the mornings after a night's rest, their back is aching.
- Both severe acute and dull lumbar pain on the right or on the left indicates an exacerbation of sciatica. Pain radiating to the buttock, thigh, and the outer surface of the lower leg. Strengthened while walking, when trying to change the position of the body, as well as during a fit of coughing.
- Backache during pregnancy may indicate lumbodynia. It occurs on the background of overwork or long stay in the cold, as well as during infectious processes. Pregnant takes a forced semi-bent position. She is very hard to move.
- Pulling back pain on the right or left can also indicate myositis (inflammation of the lumbar muscles). When palpating, the muscle fibers are compacted, and the woman characterizes the pain as long, aching, muffled. Most often, such a pathology develops if the woman is flushed or she is severely cold.
- Pancreatitis. Inflammation of the pancreas a woman may be confused with toxemia. This disease is characterized by a pronounced violation of the processes of digestion. Back pain in pregnant women associated with pancreatitis has a surrounding character. More felt in the upper abdomen, but also gives to the left side of the waist.
- Osteochondrosis, radiculitis, intervertebral hernia. With various degenerative-destructive processes of the musculoskeletal system, pain may be reflected. Often, with such pathologies, the left side of the loin hurts.
Severe back pain during pregnancy may be associated with vertebral hernia. Such a severe pathology is characterized by myalgia, stiffness of movement, poor posture, a feeling of numbness and “tingling” in the lower limbs.
A pregnant woman has a backache also with symphysitis. This is a disease associated with the divergence of the bones of the symphysis. A pregnant woman has severe pubic pains and swelling of the tissue.
What doctor should I contact if my lower back is ill during pregnancy?
If the pain in the lower back makes itself felt in the early stages of pregnancy, or it begins to disturb with time in the second / third trimester, then a visit to the gynecologist cannot be postponed. The doctor leading the woman will refer her for consultation to related specialists (nephrologist, neurologist, gastroenterologist), if there are grounds for this.
If the loin hurts during pregnancy in the first trimester, then in some cases, a specialist needs a routine examination to determine the cause of this symptom. But if the doctor suspects a pathological source of discomfort, the pregnant woman will be recommended:
- pass a complete blood and urine test,
- go through an ultrasound.
Radiological methods of research in her case are contraindicated.
During pregnancy, back pain should be treated under the supervision of a physician. A pregnant woman should not choose any medication for herself. Most often, women during childbearing recommended various methods of eliminating pain, excluding the use of medications.
If a pregnant woman has a sore back, then such recommendations will help to alleviate the condition:
- For relaxation of tense muscles, a light back massage is shown. A woman can perform it on her own. She should lie on her side and with her hands do a lumbar massage along the spine. But it is better to have a graduate massage the pregnant woman.
- If you pull your back, you can try to take a warm (not hot) shower or bath. Salt and essential oils are also added to the bath for better relaxation of the lower back muscles.
- The back will stop whining if you wear a special bandage for pregnant women. It helps to maintain the abdomen and reduces the load on the back muscles. Wearing a bandage is advisable by appointment of a gynecologist from 5-6 months of pregnancy.
- If your back aches, you need to use special orthopedic pillows in the form of a large horseshoe. This product provides support for the body on both sides. Even on the back, sleep becomes much more pleasant.
- Regularly should perform exercises gymnastics for expectant mothers. They help strengthen muscles, increase their endurance to physical exertion. If the gynecologist recommends a woman for a certain set of exercise therapy, she should strictly adhere to his recommendations. Do not disturb the sequence of exercises and the number of approaches.
- During the day, it is important to pay attention to correct posture. It is her violation often provoke lumbosacral pain in pregnant women. A woman should control herself and try not to bend back much. If she spends a lot of time sitting, then you need to use special orthopedic chairs and place a pillow under your back.
If a pregnant woman has a backache and there are no contraindications, she should go to the pool. During swimming, the back muscles relax, the distance between the vertebral bodies increases. Swimming lessons also improve breathing, increase blood circulation and increase metabolism.
If a woman has lumbar loins already in the first trimester, but this is not associated with serious illnesses, she should reconsider her lifestyle as a preventive measure:
- If a woman has a sedentary job, then she should take care of a comfortable chair or chair. Every hour is recommended to get up and do a warm-up. Sitting at the table, a woman should keep her back straight, do not slouch. Otherwise, lordosis or kyphosis will escalate, and during the carrying of the child this is completely inappropriate.
- Pregnant women who spend a lot of time on their feet should take frequent breaks. It is necessary to have a rest lying or half-sitting. In this case, the lower limbs should be slightly raised, and a pillow should be placed under the back. This technique will relax the lumbar spine.
- Future mothers should sleep mainly on the side, using a special pillow. A woman carrying a child should only walk in comfortable low-heeled shoes and with the right shoe.
- Sports during childbirth should be moderate. A woman should not set any sports records. Its task: to strengthen the body, increase its endurance, but without excessive loads. If the expectant mother has lower back pain, then exercises that involve vertical loads on the spine should be minimized.
All the causes of lumbar pain in future mothers are divided into 2 large groups. The first group includes all possible physiological conditions associated with carrying a child. The second group includes diseases manifested before pregnancy or those that were in a latent state and were provoked during the carrying of the child.
In any case, if it hurts in the lower back at the beginning of pregnancy or at later periods, such a symptom cannot be ignored. In order to continue the pregnancy safely, the woman must consult with the obstetrician-gynecologist and follow all medical recommendations.
Useful video on how to get rid of back pain during pregnancy
List of sources:
- Gynecology. Quick Start Guide. Ed. Gm Saveleva, G.T. Sukhikh, I.B. Manukhina. Year of release: 2013.
- Obstetrics. National leadership. Ed. Acad. RAMS E.K. Aylamazyan, prof. V.E. Radzinsky, acad. RAMS V.I. Fists, acad. RAMS G.M. Saveliev. Year of release: 2014.
- Neurology. Reference practitioner. Ed. D. R. Shtulman, O. S. Levin. Year of release: 2016.
- Current and management of pregnancy in trimesters. Ed. I.S. Sidorova, I.O. Makarov. Year of release: 2009.
- Miscarriage of pregnancy. Ed. V.M. Sidelnikov G.T. Dry Year of manufacture: 2010
Etiological aspects of pain in the lower back
The causes that lead to pain during pregnancy in the lumbar region can be very different. The following are the main etiological factors affecting the appearance of pain in the lower back in pregnant women.
- Pathology of the kidneys. This should include nephropathy, urolithiasis, pyelonephritis in pregnant women, as well as autoimmune processes in the renal parenchyma associated with complications of gestation.
- Pathology of the musculoskeletal system. The compression of the growing uterus of the spinal column leads to an exacerbation of degenerative-dystrophic processes. The most prominent example is spinal osteochondrosis.
- Pathology of the uterus. The hypertonus of the posterior wall, which often accompanies the pregnant woman, is manifested precisely by the pain syndrome in the lumbar region.
- Myositis Inflammation of the muscle tissue of the lumbar region. Frequent problem not only for pregnant women, but also for ordinary people of both sexes.
- Pathology of the ovaries. Inflammatory changes in the female reproductive system progresses during pregnancy, as local immunological reactivity decreases. This is how adnexitis, oophoritis, and often even banal cervicitis appear.
The list can be continued with rare causes, including vascular pathology in Adamkevich’s artery pool, irradiation of pain from the gastrointestinal tract, systemic diseases of the connective tissue and many other pathological processes. Independently determine the etiological basis of back pain is extremely difficult, so any manifestations should be considered potentially dangerous and immediately consult a doctor.
The clinical picture of various types of pain in the lumbar area
Since the causes, due to the impact of which whines down the back, are different, the symptoms are always different. A common nuance that unites all etiological aspects is only the fact of the presence of pain. Because of the peculiarities of the anatomical structure of the urinary system in the cold season, kidney problems are more common. Inflammatory diseases - pyelonephritis in pregnant women occur with the following characteristic signs:
- constant pain, aching, sometimes quite severe,
- there is no irradiation
- no vaginal discharge,
- often accompanied by painful urination,
- the temperature rises
- clear connection with supercooling.
If the inflammation in the kidneys is purulent, then in the urine are visible impurities in the form of flakes and turbidity.
Pyelonephritis is a dangerous condition that threatens the development of intoxication and renal failure.
Hypertension of the uterus, especially in the early stages, is often manifested by drawing pains in the lower back. At the same time, the rectum may be irritated, which changes the nature of the physiological functions. Pain is not permanent, may increase or decrease depending on the impact of environmental factors. Temperature does not happen, and the appearance of discharge always indicates the seriousness of the problem. The very concept of "hypertonus" implies increased muscle tension. This is clearly noticeable on palpation of the abdomen - the uterus is hard to touch, sometimes painful when touched by hands.
Characteristics of pain in the lumbar area in spinal pathology
The value of osteochondrosis during pregnancy should not be underestimated. Although the disease does not seriously threaten the life of a woman, pain syndrome sharply limits movement and lowers mood. The main clinical manifestations of the disease are listed below:
- severe pain, sometimes unbearable, sharply aggravated at the slightest movement,
- often occurs when a large uterus - in the second and third trimesters,
- radiating to the leg and buttock,
- never accompanied by fever
- the general condition of the woman practically does not suffer,
- the loin is painful on palpation, and the stomach is completely intact.
The insidiousness of the problem in the pathology of the musculoskeletal system lies in the fact that back pain is extremely difficult to stop. The usual group of drugs (NSAIDs) used for any person is not available because it is contraindicated in pregnancy. Therefore, pain syndrome is often delayed, and completely disappears only after childbirth. Fortunately, spinal osteochondrosis usually does not affect the fetus.
If at the same time the stomach and the waist hurt, then such a condition is categorically not typical for the pathology of the musculoskeletal system. It should be excluded hypertonicity of the uterus, as well as acute gynecological pathology. Adnexitis and even ovarian apoplexy occur, although not often, but quite regularly in medical practice. But in each case, the situation really threatens the life of the woman and the unborn child, therefore, requires immediate diagnosis and treatment.
How to diagnose pain syndrome
If a woman has a back ache during pregnancy, then an exact etiology of this problem must be established. Not only therapeutic measures depend on this, but also the prognosis for the birth of a healthy baby. Since there are a lot of causal factors, the whole complex of diagnostic procedures is appointed. These include:
- blood test
- Analysis of urine,
- ultrasound scan of the pelvis
- vaginal examination with smear exam,
- Abdominal ultrasound,
- MRI of the pelvis or spine in difficult cases.
Of the generally accepted methods of examination, only radiography is not used, since exposure may harm the fetus.
Be sure to take into account the clinical picture of pain. If the lower abdomen aches, and the pain gives in the lower back, then the problem is probably associated with hypertonicity of the uterus. The diagnosis is confirmed by ultrasound. You can do an ultrasound at any time during pregnancy. With the appearance of acute pain in the lower back, aggravated by physical exertion, with no changes in the analysis, the pathology of the spine should be assumed. Fever and leukocytosis in the urine, as well as the expansion of the renal pelvis complex with ultrasound indicates the presence of pyelonephritis.
How to remove pain in pregnant
In all situations where a pregnant woman’s back hurts, medical attention is required. Medication therapy is not always needed, but it is important not to miss the moment associated with the threat to the life and health of a woman. With the initial degree of hypertonus, psychological peace, friendly supportive relationships in the family, and physical stress are needed. This is usually enough to completely stop the pain syndrome.
If the lower abdomen pulls, and the pain spreads to the lumbar region, then there is cause for concern and prescription of drug therapy. Since there are many causes of an unpleasant condition, therapeutic actions are carried out according to the results of diagnostics. In pain syndrome, complex treatment includes the appointment of the following groups of drugs:
- simple analgesics - paracetamol, metamizol,
- antispasmodics - drotaverine,
- hormones - synthetic progesterone,
- antibiotics in the presence of active bacterial inflammation in the kidneys or the female reproductive system,
- tocolytic if necessary, further relax the walls of the uterus.
The list of approved drugs can be continued, as the choice of medication is carried out by an experienced doctor.
You can not even apply rubbing on your own, as they may contain non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs that are absolutely contraindicated during pregnancy. It is equally unacceptable to use inside widely used antibiotics.
Even one tablet of fluoroquinolone can cause irreparable harm to the unborn child, although these drugs are always successfully used for the treatment of pyelonephritis in men and women. Independently, only paracetamol can be taken if there is a reliably known diagnosis of osteochondrosis.
What influences the prognosis for pain syndrome
The question of why the lower back hurts during pregnancy should be on the agenda for a woman and her relatives from the first moment of development of an unpleasant symptom. The future fate of the future child depends on how early the problem is revealed. If the disease state is due to the pathology of the musculoskeletal system, then it will be extremely difficult to stop the negative sensations. However, the situation has practically no effect on the process of pregnancy and the birth of a healthy child.
At the same time, even a weak pulling sensation in the abdomen, accompanied by vaginal discharge and back pain, requires prompt access to a doctor. This situation directly threatens the further progression of pregnancy. The presence of fever can also adversely affect kidney function, so pyelonephritis necessarily require complex treatment. Do not be afraid of the use of medicines during pregnancy - in most situations it is justified and does not carry a serious risk to the fetus. Indeed, in the end it is important that the expectation of the baby was happy, and this state is easier to achieve without pain in the lumbar region.
Causes of pain
Back pain occurs during pregnancy at different periods of gestation. It is believed that in the first half of pregnancy, the body is not subjected to increased loads. This is not true. About 30% of women come with complaints that their back aches, even in the first trimester. However, most women suffer from lower back pain during pregnancy closer to the twentieth week. It is often not easy to answer why back pain during pregnancy. Low back pain in pregnant women is sometimes a consequence of obstetric causes, and may also be an independent pathology. Obstetric reasons are back pains caused by normal or pathological pregnancy.
Can the loins hurt during normal pregnancy? Yes, and this is the most frequent reason why it pulls back in pregnant women. In many cases, the onset of pregnancy leads to the fact that the expectant mother hurts lower back. The cause of pain is a rapid increase in the uterus, and the tension of its ligaments. These sensations are so common that they are considered as another sign that a woman has become pregnant.
- Hormones and metabolic processes
In the waiting period of the child, the woman has to face a sharp change in the hormonal background. There is an increased production of estrogen, progesterone and other hormones responsible for the correct course of pregnancy. A common cause of severe backache is relaxin. This hormone helps ligaments and tendons become more elastic, softens them. Relaxin is necessary to subsequently facilitate the appearance of the baby.
The elements necessary for the formation of the fetus are taken from the mother's body. Therefore, with insufficient replenishment of "reserves", the bones of a woman can receive less essential vitamins and trace elements, in particular, calcium and phosphorus. As a result, there is a weakening of the pelvic bones and spine, which can cause back pain in pregnant women.
- Increased pressure on the pelvis and spine
The most “safe” reason why pregnant women have a backache is fetal growth. The child grows, the pressure on the mother's sacrum increases, which leads to pain in the lumbar region. Also quite physiological reason why the back can hurt is an increasing weight, leading to increased pressure on the lower back. The center of gravity changes, spinal deflection occurs in the lumbar spine. Muscles get excess load, leading to pain.
The appearance of back pain in pregnant women sometimes leads to prolonged standing. The uterus puts pressure on the nerves and blood vessels that surround the spine. Because of this, it hurts below the waist, starting in the third trimester. The pain gives to the legs, aggravated by the load.
In late pregnancy, back pain may occur as a consequence of the pressure of the fetal head on the hip bones. This is accompanied by the appearance of uterine hypertonus. Then the pain appears around 38 weeks. If your lower back hurts during pregnancy for this reason, do not worry. Such sensations are a completely natural phenomenon.
A few weeks before giving birth, the expectant mother can feel Braxton-Hickx contractions. False contractions prepare the body for subsequent childbirth. In this case, in addition to the pains spreading to the lumbar region, there is a feeling of a "stone" uterus, it is difficult to inhale, there are pulling pains in the lower abdomen. Then these symptoms disappear. And after a short time, the belly and back begin to whine anew. Such sensations are considered normal, but still require close attention. Sometimes they are not easy to distinguish from really started labor. If contractions increase, repeat at regular intervals, accompanied by discharge from the genital tract, do not delay with a trip to the hospital.
If during pregnancy back pain is accompanied by the appearance of discharge and cramping pain in the uterus, this condition is considered by doctors as a threat of spontaneous abortion or premature birth.
It is required to immediately see a gynecologist. In some cases, pulling the lower back during pregnancy due to exacerbation of existing diseases or the appearance of a new pathology. Pregnancy is accompanied by natural immunity suppression. Such a mechanism is necessary so that the fetus is not rejected by the maternal organism as an alien component. The consequence is the vulnerability of women at this time. It happens that a woman does not even suspect about the existing pathologies until she becomes pregnant. During pregnancy, pain in the lower back may indicate quite serious pathology. And if the gynecologist has excluded obstetric reasons for the indisposition, you should visit other doctors, namely, a neurologist, a urologist or a nephrologist and a surgeon.
Kidneys and their diseases are the reason why the backache hurts during pregnancy. Under the influence of hormones, the tone of the ureters changes, the urine stagnates, leading to the development of infectious processes. A common complication of pregnancy is pyelonephritis. There are aching pains from one side of the back, frequent urge to urinate, cramps, the temperature rises to high values. Urine usually becomes turbid.
If lower back pain during pregnancy is pronounced, it is difficult to find a position in which the pain subsides, urine flow becomes difficult, there is an admixture of blood, possibly renal colic. Such symptoms serve as an indication for urgent hospitalization.
The diagnosis is made by the doctor, based on the data of ultrasound and laboratory tests of urine and blood. The treatment is carried out with the appointment of antibiotics, antispasmodic and analgesic drugs, and is mandatory. The disease can lead to serious consequences, including kidney failure.
In rare cases, a pregnant woman may experience inflammation of the pancreas. This happens when non-compliance during pregnancy of the diet, the consumption of food with a large amount of fat, alcohol, is a hereditary factor or consequence of stress. If back pain during pregnancy is shingles, occurs after or during a meal, is accompanied by fever, nausea or vomiting, impaired stool, the doctor makes a diagnosis of pancreatitis.
The disease is diagnosed with the use of ultrasound, MRI, is treated in stationary conditions. Drug therapy for lower back pain during pregnancy is performed using a range of anti-inflammatory and pain medications. Occasionally, in case of failure of conservative treatment, there is a need for surgical intervention.
Often back pain during pregnancy due to exacerbation of existing problems with the musculoskeletal system. If a woman was tortured with osteochondrosis or sciatica before pregnancy, then the altered loads will lead to aggravation. The source of the problems is an underdeveloped muscular system of the back or a curvature of the spine. Such a diagnosis is indicated by the occurrence of severe back pain during pregnancy in the second trimester or later.
With neurological problems, the painful sensations are shooting, they decrease in the “prone” position and increase with exertion, and a feeling of numbness may occur.
It is very dangerous to self-medicate. After all, most drugs used in such cases are contraindicated in pregnancy. In exceptional cases, the doctor may prescribe a painkiller. If the lower back hurts during pregnancy due to a neurological problem, the simplest solution is to wear a bandage. A special corset will provide support for the musculoskeletal system, without having a negative impact on the development of the baby.
Being in a draft or hypothermia can lead to an inflammatory process in the muscles of the lower back. Then the pain is characterized by a sharp character and limited movement. In addition to the back, the neck and shoulder girdle can hurt. Treatment should be carried out by a doctor who can prescribe drugs that are safe for the child.
With low localization of pain in the back and abdomen, you can suspect a symphysitis. The disease will be indicated by a changed gait, which acquires the character of "duck".Occurs due to discrepancy of the bone bones, is inherited. If the reason for which the back hurts during pregnancy is in symphysopathy, the doctor will recommend bed rest and will monitor during the entire period of pregnancy.
If there is a history of spinal injuries or congenital features of the development of arches of the vertebrae, increased loads can lead to pain in the lower back during pregnancy. The vertebrae can move relative to each other, which will serve as an impetus for severe back pain.
Such pain can be distinguished by an increase in the sitting posture, when heavy objects appear in the process of lifting, when the body position changes. The pain may radiate to the legs. Spinal deformity can be seen visually. The muscles surrounding the spine from the sides are in a tense state. A special “tightrope walker” gait develops. If, due to spondylolisthesis, the lower back is ill during pregnancy, the disease is treated with the help of drugs, physiotherapy, and gymnastics.
Why does a backache hurt during pregnancy?
Well, let's start, perhaps, with the fact that back pain is quite common, observed in a good half of all women in the position. There are many factors that naturally cause such pain and logically explain everything. They do not differ from the causes of back pain in general.
However, it should be added that among the list of diseases that cause back pain, special attention should be paid to diseases of the genitourinary system. In such cases, the pain is felt specifically in the lumbar region. And exacerbation of kidney disease often occurs just against the background of pregnancy. On the kidney disease signals lumbar pain, accompanied by fever, the appearance of edema, headache, increased blood pressure and frequent urination. At the same time, urine becomes turbid and changes color. This condition adversely affects the course of pregnancy, the condition of the fetus and, of course, the health of the woman and requires inpatient treatment. Often in pregnant women find pyelonephritis. And if back pain acquires a sharp intense cramping character, then we are talking about renal colic with urolithiasis. Therefore, it is better not to start the situation, but to consult a doctor at the first symptoms.
But, fortunately, not always the case is gaining a serious turn. Nevertheless, the loin more often hurts because of changes in the body during pregnancy. Low back pain can "give up" in the leg, aggravated after exercise, long walking, long standing, sitting in an uncomfortable position. And it can also be the result of Braxton-Hicks false contractions - in this case, the tension of the uterus and, accordingly, back pain are felt. Such training contractions in late pregnancy prepare the body for childbirth. However, if you observe something similar in your life before 37 weeks, and there is discharge from the genital tract, the pain is felt in the lower abdomen, and the intervals between contractions decrease, you should immediately seek medical help. Such symptoms may indicate a threatened abortion.
What to do if backache hurts during pregnancy?
In general, the "usual" back pain appears, as a rule, after the 5th month, and completely disappears only after childbirth. And although this condition does not provide for special treatment (except for pain caused by specific diseases), and doctors advise you simply to endure this period, you can still correct the situation by adhering to some recommendations to relieve back pain:
Sharp cutting pain
If pain is manifested in the form of a sharp, acute pain in the lumbar region. This may indicate hidden diseases or organ malfunctions.
- Acute pyelonephritisin which symptoms such as fever, weakness in muscles, a reddish tinge of urine, and a predominant pain on the right or on the left will appear.
- Urolithiasis disease during exacerbation, too, causes severe back pain. At the same time there can be attacks of vomiting and blood marks in the urine.
- Approaching childbirth characterized by sharp pains, as before menstruation.
- The gap seams on the uterus leads to severe pain, and therefore it may even happen to faint. The phenomenon is quite rare and manifests itself only in the event of an early pregnancy after a previous one, carried out with a caesarean section.
There are many other pathologies that cause cutting pain, for example, an ectopic pregnancy, problems with the gastrointestinal tract, worms and others.
But it is worth remembering that any sharp pain requires an immediate appeal to a specialist, at whatever stage of pregnancy she appeared.
Pulling back pain
One of the most common symptoms in women during pregnancy. It appears as a aching pain when walking or moving, and can give in one or both legs.
More often the backache hurts during pregnancy in late periods, since during this period the spine is overloaded. However, if a woman had spinal problems before pregnancy, such as osteochondrosis of the lumbar spine, there will also be nagging sensations in the back.
When a symptom occurs at an early stage of pregnancy, a routine examination by a gynecologist and a surgeon is recommended. To alleviate the condition of the pregnant woman, a lumbar massage or physiotherapy is prescribed.
If the pain is so sharp that it seems to shoot through the lower back, it speaks of diseases of a neurological nature. In this case, the woman must pass an examination by a neurologist.
The reasons for concern may be as follows:
- pinched nerve
- spinal hernia in the lumbar spine,
- narrowing of the spinal canal,
If shoots in the lumbar region and gives in any direction, this may indicate renal colic. Then you need to pay attention to other related symptoms - fever, swelling of the legs, high blood pressure.
What causes lower back pain?
It hurts in the lower back during pregnancy for various reasons. Most often, in the absence of cutting and stabbing pains, there is no reason for great concern. However, to know what can cause this or that pain is necessary.
Common physiological reasons that do not threaten the health and development of the child include:
- load, causing a shift in the point of gravity of the back,
- a sharp increase in the weight of a woman
- decrease in muscle tone due to hormonal failure,
- wrong lifestyle,
- lack of vitamins in the diet.
It is important to consider at what time of pregnancy the back in the lumbar region hurts, as well as how the gestation process takes place.
Some women during pregnancy may be observed discharge, similar to menstruation. For others, nothing happens every month during this period of the cycle, but discomfort in the lower back may be present, as it was before the delay of menstruation and conception.
Whether such pains are dangerous - opinions of doctors
Low back pain in early pregnancy signals a possible violation of the progressing pregnancy. Therefore, you must immediately contact a specialist for examination and timely detection of pathologies.
Acute pains are especially dangerous because they are most often a sign of a woman’s health problems. And in order to avoid complications, it is necessary to undergo a course of treatment prescribed by the attending physician.
If the lower back aches and aches the lower abdomen, and the temperature rises or bloody discharge from the vagina is observed, this is also a good reason for going to the doctor.
Within the normal range, it is considered to be a small pain syndrome that is not accompanied by other physiological manifestations and does not require anesthesia. In other situations, it is necessary to consult a specialist.
What not to do with back pain
Self-treatment is strictly contraindicated, as some signs may indicate rather serious health problems. And because of ignorance, you can only hurt yourself or your baby more.
It is dangerous to lift weights during this period in order not to provoke a miscarriage. The maximum mass of lifted items during this period should not exceed 3 kg.
If pain is cutting or shooting, sharp movements should be avoided.
Do not use painkillers without a doctor's prescription, as this may contribute to incorrect diagnosis and badly affect the development of the child.
Pain Treatment Methods
Therapeutic treatment is prescribed only after a full examination and identification of the causes. However, do not underestimate the weak aching pain, especially in the first trimester of pregnancy, and even more so to carry out self-treatment, because it can cause harm both to a woman and to a child.
Standard methods of treatment are applied in case of pain in the lower back:
- For inflammation of the bladder, kidneys and urinary system, medication is prescribed, based on the elimination of the underlying disease.
- Problems with the spine are solved by reducing the load on the back and warming with ointments and a heating pad.
- Spasmodic pains are removed with a special massage for pregnant women.
- Well, various physical exercises help from pain in the lumbar region, because they strengthen the muscles of the back.
- In the last periods, the doctor may prescribe the wearing of a bandage, which will significantly reduce the load on the lumbar region, especially in the presence of a hernia or other spinal pathologies.
To strengthen the bones, do not interfere with calcium intake. Often, doctors recommend starting it at the planning stage of family replenishment. But with him you should not overdo it.
Preventive measures - 5 useful tips
The loin can begin to hurt, both in early pregnancy and at a later date. Is it possible to prevent these manifestations?
Experts say that if you prepare in advance for such discomfort, then its manifestation will be much less, or even bypass you. This requires only regular preventive measures aimed at strengthening the muscles and improving the work of the cardiovascular and bone system.
Here are some tips that are recommended to follow, even at the planning stage of pregnancy, to prepare the body for the crucial moment.
Tip 1. Use a stabilizing bandage or corset.
Wearing a special support corset is recommended from the second trimester (14th week of the gestational period).
The bandage is made in the form of a wide belt, which helps to evenly distribute the load throughout the lower abdomen and back. The corset acts as a fixer of the abdomen, and greatly facilitates movement.
Tip 2. Perform daily gymnastics
Passive exercise does not only strengthen the muscles, but is also able to relieve tension and relieve pain.
This is due to the fact that in the process of carrying a child, some muscles become stiff or stretch, and gymnastics helps to develop these muscle groups and thereby increase blood flow to the necessary organs. From sports training fit yoga, fitness, gymnastics for pregnant women.
If the work is sedentary, then it is very important to do some warm-up exercises once an hour or go for a walk and breathe fresh air. Be sure to take care of comfortable furniture to properly adjust the height and tilt of the back of a chair. This will reduce the load on the lower back and the entire spine.
Tip 3. Choose the right mattress for sleeping
If the back pain hurts after sleeping, the pregnant woman should take care of changing the mattress. A special pillow for pregnant women can also help to better relax your back while you sleep.
It is necessary to sleep lying on one side so that the stomach does not press on the internal organs. Properly chosen sleeping set will provide complete relaxation of all muscles, so that the body will be rested in the morning.
Do not forget about the daily rest, which helps to relieve the spine. This is especially true when the back starts to hurt.
Tip 4. Observe the daily regimen
An important role not only in the formation and growth of the fetus, but also in the health of the mother is played by a proper diet.
A full supply of all the necessary vitamins and nutrients, especially calcium, promotes the synthesis of a sufficient amount of hormones and strengthen bones. And for a good mastering of all trace elements useful walks in the fresh air.
Going to bed is on time, because the best time to rest is from 21:00 until midnight. Observing the regime, the morning rise will not be difficult.
Tip 5. Regularly visit the pool
How else to relieve back pain? Of course, water treatments and swimming. It perfectly strengthens muscles, and at the same time reduces the pressure created by the spine and all internal organs on the lumbar region.
Particularly recommended to visit the pool for women, without serious pathological processes, because they allow at least somehow to reduce back pain without resorting to medical methods.
But doctors recommend not to forget about the high risk of infection during pregnancy, so you need to protect yourself as much as possible.
Back pain - doctor's comment:
The process of carrying a child is very difficult, and the expectant mother is obliged to constantly monitor the state of her body in order to provide him with support in time.
Therefore, any symptoms, even the most insignificant, should be examined by a specialist. Let it be better to be a false alarm than to miss a moment in time to reveal a disease that is dangerous for you or your baby.